North Dakota

Pics
@I Love Layers
-- how do they they winter for you? What breeds do you have.

Not very good compared to my Large Fowl.
I have a mille fleur roosters, 3 silkies hens, 1 silkie rooster. Those are the ones I want to get rid of. I'm tired of having with birds that don't do much and need to have extra or more care in the winter..

@LeviS Hi! I'm thinking Bantam Cochins ....and possibly some Easter Egger Bantams....I had my first pair of banties (well, Serema/Banty cross) this summer and I AM HOOKED. They were around purely for entertainment and enjoyment. I lost the hen to broodiness this summer and just lost the roo this past week from I can only assume was the cold
sad.png
Really really bummed. So. I definitely need a more winter hardy breed, after much thought I have decided I can't not have some banties, but also can't afford (both financially and emotionally) to replace them every year when they croak in the fall. I just am trying to figure out what other ND/MN folks have had luck with!

Empirical I am going to be hatching Show Quality Black Cochin bantams this spring! Here's my pair. They are doing great in this cold weather! I have had a few white feathers in the male but am going to get a new male to try breed that out.... But not till next spring...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom