North Dakota

Pics
Placed one Dominique hen and 36 hatching eggs and had a good time meeting new peoples and pups at the Stanley swap! I hope that this is an annual 'Stanley-based' event. Thanks to those who made it all happen, as well as to those who participated in the swapping.

We will continue to collect hatching eggs into summer from a show/breeder line of Dominiques that are pretty darn good layers. It is a challenge to get those eggs while they are warm, with all this extended winter! Although from a show line, these are very good foragers. Many go broody, if you are interested in going natural!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll probably head up. I have a new batch of egg layers that are going to be introduced to the flock (they are just itty-bitties right now) so I might go thru and cull out a few of my bossy hens and maybe a few that aren't as efficient as these new ones will be. I love my EE pullets but they are hit and miss when it comes to eggs! Or they keep hiding on me
idunno.gif
Free ranging is nice! But every week is potential "Easter Bunny visited us again" haha.

I'll be bringing one of my calico brahma roosters (not happy about it but they wont stop fighting), a hatchery mystery chick rooster (i'm thinking bb game or something) and maybe a dozen Ancona duck hatching eggs.

I would like to score a pair of peafowl but I really shouldn't, plus they go for so much money at the spring sale. Also will be keeping my eye out for a gray female llama.

I'll be bringing one of my calico brahma roosters (not happy about it but they wont stop fighting), a hatchery mystery chick rooster (i'm thinking bb game or something) and maybe a dozen Ancona duck hatching eggs.

I would like to score a pair of peafowl but I really shouldn't, plus they go for so much money at the spring sale. Also will be keeping my eye out for a gray female llama.

could I interest you in a yak or 2 instead ??

Quote:
meat, fiber, pack animal, you can ride them, GREAT conversation piece. The meat is actually healthier then breast meat chicken. Normal butchering age for bulls/steers is between 3 and 4. They are very fence friendly. Normal life span is between 20 and 30 years. I actually have an 18 year old cow who will be calving again this year. There is also a market to tanned hides, tails, and skulls.

Back
Top Bottom