North Dakota

Pics
meat, fiber, pack animal,  you can ride them,  GREAT conversation piece.   The meat is actually healthier then breast meat chicken.   Normal butchering age for bulls/steers  is between 3 and 4.   They are very fence friendly.   Normal life span is between 20 and 30 years.   I actually have an 18 year old cow who will be calving again this year.     There is also a market to tanned hides, tails, and skulls.  

Wow....that's pretty neat - thanks for the info

I am going to look for a French lop rabbit. I lost my very old French lop so I want to buy a pair as long as they don't go stupid high like peacocks at the sale.

Quote:
you are more then welcome and did I mention that Yaks are just plain COOL
cool.png

meat, fiber, pack animal, you can ride them, GREAT conversation piece. The meat is actually healthier then breast meat chicken. Normal butchering age for bulls/steers is between 3 and 4. They are very fence friendly. Normal life span is between 20 and 30 years. I actually have an 18 year old cow who will be calving again this year. There is also a market to tanned hides, tails, and skulls.
I could see myself riding one, that would be the biggest point for me haha that and friendly. I should look at yours sometime, I always forget that you are relatively close to me. I would be interested in adding one to the menagerie sometime in the future. I don't quite have the space for one right now though.

Your yaks and there's also that guy that has the herd of highlanders close too; all these great big wooly animals so close!

Anyone else see that post on facebook, that there may be a guy from SD bringing camels, variety of more exotic birds, and some different breeds of antelope?

Quote:

I actually considered Highlanders BUT yaks just seem to "fit" also you can keep 3 to 4 yaks on the same amount of land as ONE cow. No grain just grass and hay.

What was everyone's thoughts on the sale at New Salem yesterday??? I hadn't been to one in probably 10+ years - curious to think what other's thought of prices. Did you bring anything to the sale; and did you bring anything home!!?

I haven't posted in a long time. Lick finally ran out with my chickens.let them free range in the afternoons. Hawk got 5. I didn't rally notice the sex links, but did when a lavender orp and light Brahma were gone. I really don't want to spend a fortune for started from a hatchery. Anyone have any light Brahma they be interested in selling? My daughter really wants that one most.

Back
Top Bottom