North to Alaska!

Pics
My leghorns are the only ones that adventure out into the snow!

Really?

And your snow loving leghorns are just the standard white ones with a single comb?

My leghorns are the most adventurous, and would probably be the first to investigate anything, but they shiver the most. They also have some nasty frostbite on their combs...already! So frustrating.

Really?

And your snow loving leghorns are just the standard white ones with a single comb?

My leghorns are the most adventurous, and would probably be the first to investigate anything, but they shiver the most. They also have some nasty frostbite on their combs...already! So frustrating.
Yup mine are just standard Leghorns. They don't stay out for long periods. They check it out, warm up and then check it out some more

Hello fellow Alaskan's . We are new to the area and are egar to get started with our own backyard flock. We hale from Alabama. Any advice and tips would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

This is my first year over-wintering a flock of layers without electricity, so I will let you know how it goes. I have been getting eggs for about a week now, despite the darkness. Last week we had -34 below, and nobody got frostbite or anything. They looked a little cold, but they still laid eggs! The coop is well insulated and I keep the straw on the floor really thick.

Hello fellow Alaskan's . We are new to the area and are egar to get started with our own backyard flock. We hale from Alabama. Any advice and tips would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome.
welcome-byc.gif

No frostbite here,,i don't like to play veterinarian....lots of ventilation...mine was 55 degrees last week when it was 32 below here...My coop look like a sauna with the heat coming out the vents,,,Warm Warm Warm..Think insulation and ventilation<<<kinda weird yes ..but ist the moisture that hurt the worst.. -40 below in Fairbanks feel like on the Kenai..,,,We are dry they are wet,,,hurts more down there than here or the same depends on how thick you skin is,,,peace,,,,

Back
Top Bottom