North to Alaska!

Pics
This is probably a dumb question, but are there any shows in Alaska? Or maybe a fair where chickens can be shown?

Very nice set-up! Horrid about the bear, hard to keep those out.

I just finished my coop page, except for some typos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

WOW...you ran the entire gauntlet of problems!
barnie.gif

Hi, I just joined BYC and am looking for other chicken raisers in Alaska. I live in the Valley (actually in the Butte area of Palmer) and would love to visit with you about your chickens...how you winter them, etc. I don't have chickens yet, will be building the coop this spring and have the chickens till winter but need to build it such that it's ready to keep them in winter, of course.

Let me know if you're interested in giving advice and maybe a visit and if so maybe we can get together. THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
Look through the coop pages, but watch for cold weather coops.

You definitely need to think through how you will handle the winter. The run has to be sheltered, under a clump of spruce, or roofed or some way to keep snow and wind out. Otherwise the chickens will stay in the coop 24/7 and if the coop isn't big enough, they will start to eat each other. :sick

My coop has access to my greenhouse in the winter for extra space.

Also, I have no idea how other people in Alaska manage with the large combed breeds, but for me, maybe because of being on the coast, so higher humidity, large combs = frostbite.

Also, large wattles get frost bite for me too. And, the one year I didn't use 2x4s for perches I got frostbite on toes, which is truly awful. With 2x4 perches I haven't had any frostbite on toes.

Keeping the coop dry and ventilated are the most important things. I am in Anchorage and the only bite we have ever gotten is my Roo. He got his wattles and comb wet last month. I have a raised coop and have woodstove pellets, DE and pine shavings 6 inches deep. Water is under the coop never in it. The coop is 4*4*2.5 tall with 8 foot by 2 inch of ventilation.

This is probably a dumb question, but are there any shows in Alaska? Or maybe a fair where chickens can be shown?
No question is dumb.
Tanana Valley State Fair in Fairbanks, starts the first weekend in August
Alaska State Fair in Palmer, not sure of the dates, but later in August

Other than that, don't know.

I will tell you, I observed a judge handling a chicken he was judging, and showing off for the fair-goers who were looking on. I was not impressed with him. I would not take my chickens to such a show, and risk them being handled like that. I know how awesome my hens are, and that's good enough for me.

I'm sure most judges aren't like that. I regret I didn't say something at the time, and report him to show management. Live and learn....

No question is dumb.
Tanana Valley State Fair in Fairbanks, starts the first weekend in August
Alaska State Fair in Palmer, not sure of the dates, but later in August

Other than that, don't know.

I will tell you, I observed a judge handling a chicken he was judging, and showing off for the fair-goers who were looking on.  I was not impressed with him.  I would not take my chickens to such a show, and risk them being handled like that.  I know how awesome my hens are, and that's good enough for me.

I'm sure most judges aren't like that.  I regret I didn't say something at the time, and report him to show management.   Live and learn....

One of tbe "judges" I know of is known for her terrible husbandry. I parked next to her at a Palmer swap and was shocked over the 5 inches of feces in her bird cage. It was a drawer poop tray and no way could it have been opened.

Back
Top Bottom