North to Alaska!

Hello I just joined this forum yesterday wanting to connect and get information on having chickens in alaska. I just moved to Chickaloon in October. I have raised chickens all my life in WA, but I want to make sure I choose the correct breed. Our house came with a big barn with a coop and brooder in it already. It is fully insulated when closed up.
I will start reading through this very large thread, as I am sure there is some great info! I am definitely open to breed suggestions! I was also hope to get in touch with a local breeder? I would love to stick with a heritage breed, and have a nice hardy flock.
What are people's opinions on Speckled Sussex?

fullsizeoutput_ccf.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm In anchorage, can't really answer any of your questions, but you might also consider ducks. I see poultry come up for sale regularly in the spring on Craigslist but you might have to drive to wasilla or palmer.

I'm In anchorage, can't really answer any of your questions, but you might also consider ducks. I see poultry come up for sale regularly in the spring on Craigslist but you might have to drive to wasilla or palmer.
Oh I am sure I will have to drive to Palmer or Wasilla which is not an issue.

Ive been interested in Speckled Sussex for a few years now. Wondering how successful they have been up here? I know they are supposed to be cold hardy. I would love to stay with heritage breeds if possible?

I am definitely open to breed suggestions! I was also hope to get in touch with a local breeder? I would love to stick with a heritage breed, and have a nice hardy flock.
What are people's opinions on Speckled Sussex?
There are a bunch of local breeders, especially in the Palmer and Wasilla areas. The best way to find them is to get on Facebook and find the Alaska Poultry and Livestock page...and many others.

As to best breeds... I like Sussex, but their small single combs mean that all of those points on their comb will get frostbite. :idunno

Unless of course you decide to keep your coop heated. Don't however close it up tight, as that will cause respiratory issues and disease.

Anyway, I don't get as cold as you, but I am where there is high humidity, so I only rase birds with tiny combs, and clean feet.

Dominiques are a good heritage bird breed with small combs and clean feet. I also have rose comb Leghorns, which actually do count as an older breed. Ameraucanas and EE (clearly not at all heritage) are also nice with their pea combs and covered wattles and clean feet.

I have an article about cold weather poultry housing which should answer most of your questions. I go over breeds at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

There are a bunch of local breeders, especially in the Palmer and Wasilla areas. The best way to find them is to get on Facebook and find the Alaska Poultry and Livestock page...and many others.

As to best breeds... I like Sussex, but their small single combs mean that all of those points on their comb will get frostbite. :idunno

Unless of course you decide to keep your coop heated. Don't however close it up tight, as that will cause respiratory issues and disease.

Anyway, I don't get as cold as you, but I am where there is high humidity, so I only rase birds with tiny combs, and clean feet.

Dominiques are a good heritage bird breed with small combs and clean feet. I also have rose comb Leghorns, which actually do count as an older breed. Ameraucanas and EE (clearly not at all heritage) are also nice with their pea combs and covered wattles and clean feet.

I have an article about cold weather poultry housing which should answer most of your questions. I go over breeds at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
Thank you for the help! I will definitely look into those other breeds. I have had an ameraucana before. I will also read that article! I just went down to the barn to investigate the coop setup that was left here and it looks nice! A little smaller than I would like, but I think will be a great start to have chickens again. I will also check to make sure it is not air tight, and that is a way for air flow. The brooder seems really nice to start chicks out too.

Good to know about the speckled Sussex, in the research I had done previously they were labeled as cold hardy.

Thanks again!

It needs nice big vents...somewhere. it could have a huge open window (covered in wire of course) open to the barn, so cold air can't blast right in.
I will have to go back and check, but if it doesn't have a vent it would be really easy to add one.

Still trying to conduct research on breeds. I have heard of the Icelandic, but they sound like they are better suited as a free range bird and are happier that way. Currently thats not how I am setup so I don't think they are a good fit? Have you heard of Chantecler? Wyandottes are also listed as a cold weather option, thoughts?

I do think the Dominiques sound promising though, and that may be the way to go. I am also joining more of the Alaska chicken groups on facebook (I was already apart of a couple), and hopefully will find some options there as well.

Actually yes, I am very fond of Wyandottes. They also come in many colors (big variability with each color in regards to egg laying and temperaments)

The Icelandics, I researched them when they became all the rage... turns out that historically they were kept in the house...which explains how they get away with some huge combs. Some combs are small too....lots of variability.

I have heard good things about the Chanticleer, but I haven't ever owned any.

Back
Top Bottom