Norwegian Jaerhon

I was pretty amazed at how big the chicks were for a breed that is small but they do come from a big egg, lol. Love the chicken on your shoulder.
big_smile.png

Yes, the chicks start out big, but are soon outpaced in growth by the larger breeds. I really hope my jaerhon chicks perch on my shoulder when they get bigger.
smile.png
My adults want little to do with me, they were already grown when I got them.

I have got a big task. I have a bunch of jaerhons and need to get some of the roo's out of there, problem is my jaerhons are a mixture between dark and light and I have 2 to 3 weeks apart in age in three groups together... normally in other breeds I just see who's comb get's the biggest first and who's back and tail feathers take longer to grow out and cull out the extra roosters. Well a lot of my birds that I would normally say are roosters because of larger redder combs and waddles look very much like the coloration of mature hens??!! Anybody have pictures of their cockerals and pullets I could look at for reference?? Theirs not too many pictures on the internet.

I would think the problem with trying to sex them when they are older is that you don't know how much barring your male might have. I have seen some pictures with males with very nice barring and some with very little so I am not sure you could go by that. Maybe post some pictures. I wish I could come get a male from you!

I'm 99 percent sure most of what I have would be considered "dark jaerhons". And I want to cull out everything that doesn't look like dark ones are supposed to, I want to breed for the proper standard for the dark ones in the spring. I got my stock from alpine farms in July. I do need to part with some of the lighter ones very soon, if someone wants is a cockeral after I figure out what I need to cull they are more than welcome to it. I only have a black berry smart (stupid) phone right now so it takes awhile to upload pictures so it may take me a few days. If anyone has pictures of dark ones or knows where I can find a breed standard other than feathersite which I have already studied I would love the help! So far I can tell these birds are more friendly than my other chickens they too fly up on me when I go to their coop, and I can even reach for them to pick em up, VERY gentle, non flighty birds.

Roosterfry, here is an old auction on my Jaerhons, with some pics for your reference. My birds are the dark variety. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=556163

CelticMoon1
has a lot of knowledge about this breed. She helped me figure out what my birds were. She had this to say about differentiating between light and dark: It can be really hard determening whether the hens are dark or light variety from looking at their general colouring. What you need to do is look at their bottoms! If their bottom down has a light, creamy colour, they're light variety. If their bottom down is grey, they're dark variety.

Yes, get some pics of your birds and that should help us help you.
smile.png

My dark Norwegian Jaerhon pullets at 2 weeks old. Starting to feather out nicely
smile.png

Ack, my uploaded pics are the black and white chicken again, anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom