Norwegian Jaerhon

Just got a trio of Jaers and I'm so excited! The roo is a little character for sure, the hens are still a little shy. All three dark variety. The hens have provided 3 eggs since Friday when I picked them up so I might put them in the incubator and see what happens. What a great little breed and great travelers since they've ridden about 1000+ miles over the weekend with the dogs and I!

I'm so glad that I was able to help! They are one of my favorite breeds! Please post pictures of chicks and I hope you enjoy them for a long time to come! :)

I love them Tim! Thank you so much again! The little rooster just crows away when the bigger Iowa Blue boys come over to investigate - and it's such a cute sound! He's quite a talker. The girls are still kind of shy but there were 2 more eggs in the nest yesterday. Very nice ones! I'm keeping them ready until I candle the others in a few days. And trying very hard NOT to order another incubator. Tho I may have just ordered some parts to build one.... maybe....

Will definitely post pictures of chicks! Fingers crossed! 19 long days to go. : )

I love them Tim! Thank you so much again! The little rooster just crows away when the bigger Iowa Blue boys come over to investigate - and it's such a cute sound! He's quite a talker. The girls are still kind of shy but there were 2 more eggs in the nest yesterday. Very nice ones! I'm keeping them ready until I candle the others in a few days. And trying very hard NOT to order another incubator. Tho I may have just ordered some parts to build one.... maybe....

Will definitely post pictures of chicks! Fingers crossed! 19 long days to go. : )
When I hatched them before, I did learn a few things. First, they seemed to be one of the most fertile breeds that I had. Second, I after trial and error, I found the best way to hatch them is dry incubate them (no added water the first 18 days). Then, do not turn them day 19-21, but add water for humidity. That's when I had my best hatch rates from them. Best of luck! That little rooster certainly does have a personality that's much bigger than his body. Lol!

This link no longer seems to be valid. It keeps sending me to a site wanting to know if I want to start a forum of my own.

It was valid way back when I posted the link so must in the meantime gone down. I can't remove the link in the post because it's 8 years old and they don't allow editing that far back, sorry.

Last edited:
It was valid way back when I posted the link so must in the meantime gone down. I can't remove the link in the post because it's 8 years old and they don't allow editing that far back, sorry.
Yes, I thought that too. LOL I wonder if one of the monitors could remove it?

I was looking for pictures of the NJ's as I had some eggs but they didn't make it and I wanted to show my husband what they would look like if they had hatched.

I was going to dry hatch, but my place is *really* dry this time of year and the humidity was < 20%. With a little water in the bator it's holding at 35-40% so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm going to weigh the eggs weekly to monitor weight loss/air cell development and adjust the humidity as much as I can to allow for the right amount of water loss. Or at least I'm going to try! Tho' first have to see if anything is developing! That'll be Tues.... Or maybe Monday.... : )

I was going to dry hatch, but my place is *really* dry this time of year and the humidity was < 20%. With a little water in the bator it's holding at 35-40% so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm going to weigh the eggs weekly to monitor weight loss/air cell development and adjust the humidity as much as I can to allow for the right amount of water loss. Or at least I'm going to try! Tho' first have to see if anything is developing! That'll be Tues.... Or maybe Monday.... : )

Let me know how it goes. The great thing is they are white eggs. So, you can candle pretty easily. :)

Gray Stripe Norwegian Jaerhon Hen Gray Stripe Norwegian Rooster

These pictures are from Norway. The Gray Stripe or Gray is a newly approved variety of Jaerhon. There are other varieties that are not yet approved in Norway, but may be some day. I have heard some breeders complain that Jaerhons do not breed true for color, but those colors may just be other varieties. There are more varieties of Jaerhon than we know here in the USA. We need to be careful that we do not lose important varieties by culling colors we should be keeping.

Last edited:
This new trio of Jaers of mine is quite productive! I picked them up on Jan 24 and I've already gotten 13 eggs! Wasn't expecting that! And at least 4 of the 5 I put in the bator last week are fertile, need to look closer at the 5th. Have 8 more as backups just sitting there on the counter waiting their turn. My plan to have a small bator so I didn't go crazy hatching chicks is starting to slip... : )

Back
Top Bottom