Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Vetrex is good for colds. Sulmet works for respitory issues as well as denagard. I have a sneezing birds used these 2 and went away quickly. I had a bird shipped from a good source but it was during a real wet period and he caught cold. Vetrex seems like eucalyptus and is a oil. Sulmet goes in the water. I used this just in case it was more than a cold. The Vetrex is what made him better. after I used that it went away in a few days. Good to keep on hand.

Thanks, I googled the Sulmet, but didn't check on the Vetrex....It is tough having the focus of a frog.

I have my first Norwegian Jaerhons hatching as we speak.
celebrate.gif
So far, it looks like 4 females and 5 males.

This is fun that we have lots of new Jaerhon folks up and coming!

I will be offering Jaerhon trios and quads within the next month. I would consider shipping chicks approx. mid-June (when they are big enough to fly). Delivery within NW Colorado and also the Front Range will be possible in late June.

My flock produces occasional "white" pullets, which I am assuming are the "light" variety. Originating from Ideal, but I've been breeding for about 6 years and have introduced new (Ideal) stock in the meantime, rather than intertwining the line-breeding too closely. The color-sexing at birth is quite consistent, which is a great "plus" of the Ideal efforts.

All my Jaer chicks have been dying.
th.gif

I have a couple pullets, but everything since then has dies around day 5 to 10.
my thought; I add game bird feed to up the protein of the chick feed. Could this be what is doing in the Jaers? To much protein? That is the only difference I can think of between my first batch and all the rest.

Thoughts?

Quote:
How old are the chicks? What are the specific symptoms of illness?

If you are concerned about the feed, I personally would completely remove it and go to whole grains (and small grit) and supplementary, whole food like fresh greens, yoghurt and scrambled egg; see if that improves their strength.

Parkmule, sorry I didn't get around to posting about that yet. She hatched 4 from my eggs, lost them by 7 days. I've hatched only 3 so far, 2 males that are doing fine, and a pullet that went to a new home and died a few days later. I don't know what the gal was feeding. I haven't had any problems with large chick deaths. Parkmule and I were wondering about GMO feeds.

Oooh I want one or ten.. :D My chicken math is way out of hand. My DH hasn't even finished my EE bantam coop...(they are only two and three weeks...waiting for it to stop raining so I can paint!) I guess I'll have to wait... Impatiently. At least he's a carpenter:) hmmm a free range shelter...

Could the problem be ms/mg that is dormant perhaps in the mom or dad. Sometimes disease in the hen or cock is passed to the chicks and when it activates can kill a chicks.
Or It could be genetic you can get a gene passed on that kills a chick. That is sad. Something is definitely wrong. Sorry for the losses

Back
Top Bottom