Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I think Dr. Netland was the first/ only? In 1996. There is some info on this earlier in this thread. I think he even posted some info himself.

Thank you!

We're looking into importing some from Norway.

Oooh!!!
clap.gif

Can light and dark Jaerhons be bred
together, or do they need separate breeding pens?

They can be bred together. However, in order to maintain the colors, it is best to keep them separate. Otherwise, you'll have some recessive genes hiding that will be hard to get rid of later on if you should want to.

Last edited:
They do crop up together, at least if the light ones I get are what we are considering "Light Jaerhons." I've only had a very few come along over the years and wasn't paying too much attention to their hatchling coloring...and so I can't speak as an expert on the differences in this coloring from hatching time on.

The concern with the light color (sans tan, just white and grey) is that one of the "plusses" with Jaerhons is the color sexing at hatch and it *may* not be as easy to sex the chicks in the light version as it is with the dark ones. Do others have a more clear experience in this regard? Do your Light pullet chicks have more than the token white "dot" on their heads?

Can anyone tell me whether chicks originating from Sandhill are easily sexable by color? I had someone write to me/send photos/ask me to sex her chicks from Sandhill recently and I couldn't do it with confidence.

They do crop up together, at least if the light ones I get are what we are considering "Light Jaerhons." I've only had a very few come along over the years and wasn't paying too much attention to their hatchling coloring...and so I can't speak as an expert on the differences in this coloring from hatching time on.

The concern with the light color (sans tan, just white and grey) is that one of the "plusses" with Jaerhons is the color sexing at hatch and it *may* not be as easy to sex the chicks in the light version as it is with the dark ones. Do others have a more clear experience in this regard? Do your Light pullet chicks have more than the token white "dot" on their heads?

Can anyone tell me whether chicks originating from Sandhill are easily sexable by color? I had someone write to me/send photos/ask me to sex her chicks from Sandhill recently and I couldn't do it with confidence
Dark and light hens look alike except Dark hens have grey and dark grey stripes in the down on the underside of their body and their bottom, while the Light hens are light brown in this area. Adult roos will have mainly white feathering, though patterned, but the Dark roos will have some darker coloring on their backs. In Light Jærhøns chicks the males are yellow, females are yellow with a visible brown stripe from their head and down along the back (chipmunk chicks). In the Dark Jærhøns chicks the males are light brown with a large uneven yellow spot in the head/neck area. Females are dark brown with a small spot on the head.

I think the hens you are calling light are what the Norwegians are call greys. The greys are not in their SOP, but some breeders in Norway are working on them. I think the E locus for Dark is eb, Light is e+ and both are gold ss. The Greys seem to be eb and may be genetically silver SS. I think some Darks are Ss(golden) as the hens neck color is slighter lighter in some Darks and this would be where the silver S comes from. The genetics are just theories on my part based on by observations and they may not be right. I am looking forward to learning more.

Back
Top Bottom