Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I did one google search on Danish Landrace, it is mentioned in a Scandinavian overview report on poultry in the Scandinavian countries, no pics, said to be a smaller farm breed, in brown, black and gray with moderate egg production. No pics yet. Most of the chickens reported in Scandinavia are commercial egg and broiler breeds, from leghorn strains or heavy broiler lines. Each country showed several landrace breeds by their in country names .

You're welcome peeps
smile.png

Quote:
Oh my, you're going to have to get some just to complete the set (I notice you have Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic...
tongue.png
)
Ask and you shall receive, this is the page for the special club for Danish Landrace (Danske Landhøns):
http://www.danskelandhoens.dk/

Pics'n all
wink.png

ETA: There are 4 types: Danske Landhøns (LF), Luttehøns (LF, shortlegged - basically Danske Landhøns with the gene added for short legs), Danske Dværg-Landhøns (bantam variety of Danske Landhøns) and Lutte-dværge (bantam variety of Luttehøns). Now go drool
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the link !

Except for the combs I have Icelandics that look just like these, but others also in other colors. RIght now I only have one cock with a Single Comb, the rest are Rose Combs.

I want to keep flocks of the Norwegian Jaerhon, the Icelandic, the Swedish Hedemora, and probably two other Scandinavian breeds. I am fascinated by their development as breeds in countries with long winters and not a lot of grain produced.I could see keeping a small flock of the Danish Landrace too.

I like to keep records on my chickens so I will eventually have some on each flock to compare including processing on excess cockerals. I firmly believe that one of the very best ways to insure survivalbility of Heritage Breeds is to have them on your dinner table.
wink.png

This should be a very interesting season growing out chicks of a number of these breeds.
pop.gif

Jake

Last edited:
Quote:
Agreed, unfortunately I can't process my own birds so I'm at the mercy of a farmer's wife to do the deed and she only does it from July through November 1
sad.png

Quote:
Let's try to keep this thread going through the summer, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's sucess stories
thumbsup.gif

Discoveregg processing them isnt a job I like, but it needs to be, careful breeding also means careful culling.

On the NJs this spring I am planning on starting with around 40 chicks, so that right there means at least 15 cockerals going in the freezer. Probably another dozen Icelandic cockerals. It just needs to be.

When I am doing them it is usually six at a time. If you dont know how get someone to teach you, its not a job I will ever like, but it is a necessary one. We dont need to pay for the upkeep on any roosters past five mos unless they are breeding prospects.

celtic moon, thanks tfor the translation.
ya.gif
It is very clear and so helpful. I wonder if the A-fawlts are disqualifying faults and the fawlts are faults. If that is true than the the A-fawlts are worst than the fawlts. Do you think that is how it is?

Quote:
I'm not enough "into" showing chickens to know, really... but I did find a list of a-faults and faults for Barnevelder, Orpington and Welsumer, several times the only thing listed as faults are "lesser flaws in colour and pattern than the above" (the above referring to A-faults). So it appears that A-faults are more severe than faults. Sometimes only A-faults are listed. Not sure if the judging happens the same way in Scandinavia and USA, so not sure if it is correct or not to say that A-faults are the same as disqualifying faults(which is why I hesitate to use the terms disqualifying or defect...). Sorry I'm a dunce when it comes to showing
idunno.gif

Oh and I didn't deliberately spell it "fawlts", didn't even realize until you pointed it out just now - must have watched too much Fawlty towers *lol* Please let me know if there are other mis-spellings, English is NOT my first language
hide.gif

Now, the colours are horror to translate as they are quite detailed in the different feathers - and I don't necessarily know the terms in English. Theres something called "ribstribe" which basically means "middle stripe" so I'm just putting "colouring along the shaft" - unless someone has a cool term for it? As an example, a partridge hen would have a dark "ribstribe" in her neck feathers...

Back
Top Bottom