Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Hey, all! Forgive my laziness in not searching the thread more, but are Jaerhons Landrace or Breed? All the pictures I've seen on this thread seem to be pretty similar, so am I right to say that they're a breed?

~Gresh~

Quote:
Yes they are a breed that was developed from an old landrace fowl
wink.png

Discoveregg

I would bet money that you could find a teen that you could teach and supervise, and a lot better timing for you at your convenience. Probably cheaper too in the long run.

OK guys, next part follows... SOP for the Dark variety. SOP for the light variety will follow another day
wink.png

COLOUR VARIETIES:

DARK: brown-yellow (barred)
Autosexing.
Down colour in male chick is dark brown with a quite large diffuse neck spot.
Down colour in female chick is dark grey-brown with a small light neck spot.

PLUMAGE:
ROOSTER:
Head and neck feathers: almost white (light), with corn yellow barring in the lower parts of the feathers towards the back, shoulders and chest.
Back and saddle feathers: whitish (light) with a grey-brown-yellow colour along the shaft and golden-yellow border, which has a faint hint of blurred barring.
Tail: Control feathers white with a touch of light grey in the outer part of the feather. Side and main sickle feathers as control feathers but with a faint hint of grey-brown irregular barring in the outer part of the feather.
Wings: Wing bow - light golden yellow interspersed with some white. Wing
bar/speculum - in the visible dark grey-brown with faint distinct barring Flight feathers almost white (a slight hint of grey is not considered a significant flaw).
Chest, abdomen and thighs: Upper chest (foreneck) is almost a mixture of white (light) with a very yellowish tint, that changes into a more grey-brown-yellow at the chest, irregular barring. This barring grows stronger in colour and more distinct especially on the abdomen and thighs.
NOTE: The light feather colour in the roosters can vary quite significantly, but should still always show a certain hamony in allround impression.

HEN:
Head and neck: Yellowish with yellow-brown irregular barring that grows stronger and more distinct at chest and abdomen.
Back: Dark brown-yellow irregular barring, the barring grows more indistinct and fainter at the base of tail.
Tail: Dark brown with a lighter, though still dark brown-yellow speckling.
Wings: Wing bows and bar, with a broad dark grey-brown and yellowish white barring, that grows more indistinct and converging towards the wing bar. Flight feathers – primaries grey-brown with a lighter brownish spattering. Secondaries are almost uniformly grey-brown. There can be an amount of white in the flight feathers; all white flight feathers are not considered a significant flaw.
Chest: A relatively distinct and quite broad barring of grey and light yellow-brown colouring, that subsides and becomes more grey towards abdomen, thighs and bottom down.
NOTE: The overall impression in the colouring is more even in the hen than in the rooster; the barring mentioned above is not sharply defined in any of the parts of the feathers.

A-faults: Entirely asymmetrical colouration and pattern, which is largely disturbing the overall impression. Straw colour in wing and tail feathers.
Faults: Lesser colouration and pattern flaws compared to the above.

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 agreed... Now if we could just find some breeding stock of light ones. Mr. Netland said they were his favorite, he didn't specify why. I guess one obvious plus to the light ones would be a solid yellow chick that's a male and a light brown one with a stripe that's a pullet which would be a little more distinctive differences than the dark variety ....

Last edited:
I know I've already got the dark variety the hatcheries don't even know that yet!
celebrate.gif
I'm going to be churning out chicks from the incubator fast as these ladies lay eggs. I bet they'll be all over North MS by July
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom