Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I believe the numbers are out there. Most breeders are just not very connected socially and until now most people weren't sure what color variety they have and many are probably still in the dark.... We need to just start a Club and have members that agree to breed them to standard and keep them pure.

Ok guys, third and final part coming up: Light variety. Will post the whole thing in a separate thread for you to get everything together, as well.
smile.png

ETA link to the SOP (separate thread): https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606653

Last edited:
LIGHT: yellow-brown barred
Autosexing.
Down colour in male chick is almost uniformly yellow.
Down colour in female chick is yellow with a brownish stripe down the neck and back.

PLUMAGE:
ROOSTER:
The colour pattern is approximately as given for the Dark variety, though lighter overall.

HEN:
The pattern in the feathers of the body is something between double speckled (like the East Frisian Gull / Ostfriesische Möwe) and barring. The base colour is yellow and grey-black.
Head and neck: Yellowish barring with nice gray-black speckling.
Back and base of tail: Faint light yellow with grey-black speckling/barring that becomes more defined towards base of tail and tail.
Tail: Lower steering feathers grey-black with faint brownish spattering. Outer (upper) steering feathers yellow brown with a more defined grey-black speckling.
Chest, abdomen and thigh: Foreneck yellow with indistinct barring that runs into a mixed yellow chest colour. At abdomen and behind thighs the grey down colour is more prominent.

NOTE: Colouration and pattern of the two varieties is somewhat imprecise, thus serious flaws only rarely occur. Still, a certain harmony and a certain uniformity between the individuals is required, especially uniformity i colouration and barring in the hen.

A-flaw: In colouration and pattern is practically non-existant (see note).
Flaw: Larger groups or occurences of plain coloured feathers that disturb the overall impression. Grey in wings and straw colour in tail feathers.

Celtic moon, again thank you for such a helpful translation.

roosterfry, I think a club would be great! We need to get the word out about these wonderful chickens.

Kat

Quote:
Agreed! I've been telling people locally about them. Lots of people are interested. They really do have hard egg shells. I've been told that people use the eggs to paint the shells and decorate them because of their hard. And come to think of it when I candled my hatching eggs and had to break the bad ones at the time i thought they seemed unusually hard! I just figured the breeder who sold them to me used a lot of calcium supplements!

I was dirrected here to post pictures of the Flame Jaerhons from Sandhill. Sadly I have no pics.

The Male was one of the most beautiful young roosters I have ever seen. HUGE upright single comb (why a big comb on a northern climate landrace?) Beautiful barred red hackles. The local short haired girls used some for hair extensions. Just absolutely stunning feathering with an alert look and slight build. And mean as snakes. Constantly tried to attack people through the cage wires. I am afraid he is gone, as we pasture and his light weight would have allowed him to come over the electric fence at us. I should have kept all his feathers, he was gorgeous.

His lady is a keeper. Skinny, dark barred, skitish, always first to make a hit-n-skeedadle run on any treats offered. Goes completely bonkers if treats are offered where she cannot get to them. Lays the biggest white egg I have ever seen and nearly everyday. We keep telling her to slow down so she doesn't burn herself out.

I know all that was not much help. Good luck to all with your birds.

The flames sound beautiful. I hope they are not all so unfriendly. My Jaer hens have been laying since the first of August. They hardly ever miss a day. The shells are nice and strong and the eggs are now bigger than my California Whites' eggs. They are very frienfly and will eat out of my hands. If one is on the nest when I collect eggs sometimes the hen will stay on the nest while I reach under her for the eggs. They very gentle and have never pecked me while I am reaching under them.

Roosterfry, since we all live so far apart, how do we start a club? I would love to promote my favorite chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom