Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I would really love to see pictures of Flame Jaers, especially the hens and chicks. The color of the hen's breast and the chick color of both sexes is very important in determining the color genetics of any Jaer variety. I would also like to know if the light Jaer still exists in the US and the only way to tell for sure is chick color. Chick pictures aren't just cute and fun they are educational.
Kat

I would really love to see pictures of Flame Jaers, especially the hens and chicks. The color of the hen's breast and the chick color of both sexes is very important in determining the color genetics of any Jaer variety. I would also like to know if the light Jaer still exists in the US and the only way to tell for sure is chick color. Chick pictures aren't just cute and fun they are educational.
Kat
somewhere on the web and in my giant file on the jaer the professor who hatched out the only
importation of them stated what they where - i don't remember that there where ever any lights in the batch.
i wouldn't have paid too much attention to this point because it is a land race and i would personally love to see
it regenerate itself as a land race somewhere on earth - with its full spectrum of characteristics. my god that
would be satisfying to see...back, finally, as it was over 1000 years ago. maybe at my house it will... who knows.
...my intuition tells me that pressing them into a mold is not where they belong.
plus, think of how much less stress it would be just to leave them alone.

also: your knowledge of chick colors - wow, where do you people learn all of these things... i have not read a word
about this anywhere...maybe it will come up when i start reading genetics/breeding books. that explains all of the
chick photos posted on forums which seem silly to me... what an odyssey learning chickens is.

has anyone seen the Flame Jaerhorns they offer?
i am a full time professional researcher and the only ones i have ever uncovered are on the feathersite page.
(wouldn't you expect a hatchery who offers a one of a kind breed to post a picture of it?)
the females are a very dark barred and the males topped literally in red feathers.
and as i said, no one in norway has ever seen this pattern according to forum posts. but it reproduces itself.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Jaer/BRKJaerhone.html page down.

also, notice the other male pictured there that is mostly red...just above the flame photos. (!)
and what about the silver campines and barred (gray in norway) that show up readily in flocks.
i have saved all of the images i have found of these. they are clear feather patterns - the barred
is being worked on and perfected in norway with the intention of entering it into their standards.

i have noticed the similarities in jaers and other northern european 'country chickens' 'land races'
but so far as i know only the jaer was worked on to improve lay rate until recently. some of the
others had attention paid to this recently so that people would want to keep them and they did not
die out. but their feather patterns remain mixed - like the icelandic.
conformation is an anomaly in jaers.

dear miss greenleaf,

first of all, the last time i saw the photos that you posted of jaers
a voice in my head said 'why are those photos so excellent'
learning about chickens is at times so all consuming and confusing
that every time i check this thread and read one of your posts i forget
that you are a professional photographer - it shows! your jaer pictures
are the best on the planet - you must have high quality equipment too.
i am not sure why a picture matters so much, but since they do,
you put the best face on jaers that there is. so thank you for that.

finally, for reference, annoyance: is people who eat crisco and eggs made out of GMO
and industrial waist products who wonder why i wont visit them in the hospital.

robert braun [email protected]
Thank you for the kind words. I am not a pro photog though, not yet. My Nikon DSLR, while good quality, is an entry level 2006 model. Upgrading is not yet in the budget; I have seen lenses that cost more than my car!

I am not surprised you couldn't locate Greenleaf, no GPS in the world can find us. It's a perpetual irritation as my DH runs his business from home and his customers are always getting lost. We are 16 miles south of Green Bay, if that helps. I'm glad you can use the turbine idea, it probably will work better for you as the Dakotas are windier than Wisconsin. On still days the coop remains stuffy. I rather like your definition of 'annoyance' too.
wink.png

Sandhill doesn't hire any help. They do all the work in their gardens and coops themselves, on top of their regular jobs, with just seasonal help.
Passion or insanity, I don't know which! If they were near me I'd help for free just because I love what they do.

Here is a tidbit of info on down colors I got from CelticMoon, she is very knowledgeable of Jaers:

It can be really hard determening whether the hens are dark or light variety from looking at their general colouring. What you need to do is look at their bottoms! If their bottom down has a light, creamy colour, they're light variety. If their bottom down is grey, they're dark variety.

The good news are light and dark variety are interbreedable, no prob! The offspring will be either dark or light, not any other variety.
[Isn't that incredibly interesting?]

Generally, both the hen and the roo of light variety will be more uniformly yellow in their chest & underside, while the dark variety will have more of the stripy thing going on. With the really good show chickens of the breed in Norway it's really easy to separate the two varieties.

I would really love to see pictures of Flame Jae rs, especially the hens and chicks. The color of the hen's breast and the chick color of both sexes is very important in determining the color genetics of any Jae variety. I would also like to know if the light Jae still exists in the US and the only way to tell for sure is chick color. Chick pictures aren't just cute and fun they are educational.
Kat
I too would like to know if there are any light NJ still popping out in the USA and see these Flame NJ. I assume that the light NJ is recessive to the dark NJ. The original hatch in the US had both light and dark, but the light have seemed to all go away.

I saw a post on the Norwegian Forum that asked if anyone had seen the Flame color. No one had ever seen it so I guess this is a new mutation or else a gene that is not present is most NJ lines.

Last edited:
I too would like to know if there are any light NJ still popping out in the USA and see these Flame NJ. I assume that the light NJ is recessive to the dark NJ. The original hatch in the US had both light and dark, but the light have seemed to all go away.

I saw a post on the Norwegian Forum that asked if anyone had seen the Flame color. No one had ever seen it so I guess this is a new mutation or else a gene that is not present is most NJ lines.
I am not sure
sand hill preservation offers them but they do not post pic's

Back
Top Bottom