Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
When I was on the Norweigen forum a few months back they were taking about a new varriety they called the Grey Jaerhon. They were setting up a swap so those intrested in establishing the grey varriety could exchange stock. They never posted any photos of the grey, but that may be what you have.

I have been devoting most of my free time lately to studying the cream gene [ig]. It is a recessive gene that dilutes or inhibits gold plumage and resultes in silver looking birds that genetically have a gold base. So...natually my first though was that the cream gene produced that pullet.
smile.png
There are of course a lot of other possibilities too though.

Thanks for the post. It is fun to see the rare colors pop out.

Has anyone see the light Jaerhon pop out. I am not entirely sure how to tell the light from the dark Jearhons (doen color only?), but it would be great to see the Light Jearhons recoved in North America. What color chick down did your Grey Jearhon have? Was it dark like the rest or a little different than the rest?

As I remember, her chick coloring was more like a cockerel. Just more white on the head. I don't recall there being a difference in down color from the rest of her brood ~ other than fooling me for awhile about sex. I have two "white" pullets in my flock, this one and another born a season earlier.

As I remember, her chick coloring was more like a cockerel. Just more white on the head. I don't recall there being a difference in down color from the rest of her brood ~ other than fooling me for awhile about sex. I have two "white" pullets in my flock, this one and another born a season earlier.

Interesting looking little hen, until I pulled up the photo closer I thought you had a Fayoumi hen there for a second.

Thanks!

Im interested in getting a getting a few Jaerhons. Where might I be able to get an unrelated Started Trio? Or a few chicks??
Thanks, Scott LeJeune, Oakdale, Louisiana

I got 8 eggs , 2 made it to day 21 its day 22 and one hatched early this morning. So I was expecting the little fuzz ball to be more tan or brown :hmm to me this dosnt even look like the pictures of this breed, so I am at a loss for what sex its sapose to be . Any ideas ?
the only other breeds in the incubator hatching were serama and d ullces and its not those so this has to be the chick from the NJ egg

This chick looks the spitting image of the one I just hatched out. Is this really a Roo? I thought females had the large yellowy-cream area on their head? I'll be so very sad if it's a Roo... I love it already and it worked so hard. It took the poor thing 30 hours total, to hatch after the pip...came out backwards and still made it out of there all by itself. Oh I hope it is not a roo.
hit.gif
The only difference in yours and mine are the legs. Mine has...little pastel yellowy legs and feet.

Last edited:
Actually - nevermind. It took a while longer for mine to fluff out. It is grey from the bottom to the neck and then the head is creamy yellowish.
idunno.gif
It has a touch of yellow on the booty too...but not much. Kind of hard to sex a chick when it doesn't look like the brown/red ones. lol It seems to be doing okay though - just wants to sleep.

Would you please add some description of the bird in the picture? Age--bantan/large fowl--variety etc. Thank you for your posting.

They should do fine in Vermont. In fact, the breed has demonstrated a superior ability to adapt to a wide variety of climates (Pacific NW, Midwest, Gulf states, North Carolina, New England, and Rocky Mountain areas) with no problems. Good luck with your birds! (If you intend to use them as breeders, I strongly suggest you get male birds from other sources and use only hens that are proven layers through the 2nd year as all the birds we have in the US are from the original 3 breeder trios I put together from the eggs that hatched -- 9 out of 12 with the 10th being a cull.)

Dr. Bjorn Netland,

Thanks for posting here. We have all heard bits and pieces about your original hatch and look forward to your contributions to this forum. We have lots we can learn from you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom