Not a hawk this time

Johnboy78

Chirping
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Within a week of being let out of the run at 10 weeks my little flock of eight was swooped by hawks.
It seems like it has become a frequent part of their lives since then.
My suburban backyard is heavily treed and shrubbed, flowers and tomatoes are
not an option for me. But the abundance of cover around the yard has helped
me keep my eight girls intact in spite of the many redtails wheeling around in the sky.
If you haven't seen the response when they sight a hawk it is impressive, they all duck into the closest
bush or under the deck or picnic table and the screeching begins. Used to be they would be motionless
and silent for up to an hour, but as they have gotten older i guess they have developed an attitude.
So as I let them out this morning in the drizzle and they went out to range. About 15 minutes later I went
out to check their food and they screeching and taking cove. I see a big motion up in one of my perimeter trees,
big bird. Chickens for some reason have no trouble spotting whats lurking high in the trees,
much harder fo me to pick out whatever menace is lurking up there,so I start walking towards the tree in question
trying to see what I can. It's a big shape and I think it might have something.

Big wings unfurl and I disturb whatever it is enough to get it to move on.
Boy was I surprised.

A big heron, grayish in color, 5-6 foot wingspan, launches out of the tree and takes off.
I would not have believed my eyes except for the way they curve those long necks in flight,
with those big lazy flapping motions that's an unmistakeable identifier.

Okay, this is Long Island and I'm only a mile from the Long Island Sound.
Still in over 20 years this is the first one ever to visit my backyard.

The girls who by now can distinguish planes and helicopters from real threats
apparently are not used to herons yet. It was a nice surprise this morning.

We have a run fully secured. We have 3 pairs of hawks in my backyard and I stand over my flock free ranging. If I don't have the time or feel well, they stay in their run. I have not lost one yet. I keep a large stick in my hand in case of an attack. My neighbors hen was attacked with my neighbor 3ft away. Her hen was not hurt. Their coop is inside the garage. They have a lot of space.

600262c2-8039-be67.jpg

Last edited:
You can buy Plastic Owels and moving them around help a little against hawks .. they make them very fancy with bobble heads and noises too .. Of course that will not deter an eagle and I doubt a Heron.. But Hawks do fear Owls .. I still end up running around like a crazy woman if I see Bald Eagles over head.. Be Gone !!!!!!!!!! lol Luckily my Goats seem to scare away the hawks too .. They will jump and run towrds them if they start to swoop .. but I understand goats arent an option for every one .

Actually I'm not going to do anything.
Herons are not a danger for chickens, the goldfish in my pond are more at risk.
As for the hawks the girls have been avoiding them successfully
for a year now. Based on the number of hawks I've seen overhead they
avoid them daily.
Less than 50% of my yard is exposed to open sky and
most of the time the girls avoid the most exposed spots anyway,
they prefer being in the brush.

A block away I have a neighbor who has lost chickens to hawks,
his yard is fairly open to the sky, big exposed lawn, perfect for kids
to throw balls around, good for aerial targeting.
My kids couldn't toss a ball around the yard because of the trees
and now my chickens benefit.

I'm not saying my chickens are safe but they are so far successfully
dealing with the hazards of everyday life just as we all do.

Back
Top Bottom