Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

So i get the wonderful task tomorrow of setting up a necropsy. Yep, my cockerel passed this AM. i have no clue, what it is, could be Mareks? could be something else entirely. Only the testing will confirm that.

Feeling a bit sucker punched, came from a good breeder, good bird. a real loss. anyways, will update because it's important for me and others to know, if it is Mareks of coarse i will have no way of knowing whether he brought it or i have carriers here and he couldn't fight the strain present, no other birds ill even the pullet he lives with.(lived... ugh)

This will be a long wait lol I am grateful at least for the option and the use of my vet locally so i don't have make a several hour trip to have it performed. Will update when i know something.

Last edited:
So i get the wonderful task tomorrow of setting up a necropsy. Yep, my cockerel passed this AM. i have no clue, what it is, could be Mareks? could be something else entirely. Only the testing will confirm that.

Feeling a bit sucker punched, came from a good breeder, good bird. a real loss. anyways, will update because it's important for me and others to know, if it is Mareks of coarse i will have no way of knowing whether he brought it or i have carriers here and he couldn't fight the strain present, no other birds ill even the pullet he lives with.(lived... ugh)

This will be a long wait lol I am grateful at least for the option and the use of my vet locally so i don't have make a several hour trip to have it performed. Will update when i know something.

If you can do it, it's the best thing for the flock. I should have started sending necropsies long ago.

at univ of minnesota, pcr testing is another 100 bucks, and it is sent out to another diagnostic lab, I forget where. If they took live blood, they would send it to texas.

going out to check the flock in a few minutes, it is dark right now....each time I go out I am apprehensive about what I will find. Its a change from my previous assumption that everyone would be perfectly fine!

It's great that your local vet can do it, but he will need to send some tissue/blood for a PCR for Marek's. Even if he doesn't find any tumors.

He sends the whole bird, he's just a middle man basically. The Avian pathologist told us how to handle it.
smile.png

at univ of minnesota, pcr testing is another 100 bucks, and it is sent out to another diagnostic lab, I forget where. If they took live blood, they would send it to texas.

going out to check the flock in a few minutes, it is dark right now....each time I go out I am apprehensive about what I will find. Its a change from my previous assumption that everyone would be perfectly fine!
That is a terrible feeling but i get it i have been doing that for almost the last 2wks because of our wee boy, at least this AM i know what to expect, his poor pullet though.. she's alone and never has been that is one i have to fix but need to sort how.

Blood sent to Texas A&M the last time I looked was $30.00 for a pcr. You may want to try a state run animal disease lab. That's where I send mine down here in Florida.

I asked for an update on the necropsies of the grey eyed hen and asymptomatic rooster and got this:

The eyes are still being examined because the processing is different from other organs. Both birds have coccidiosis and I recommend treatment with Amprol. No evidence of Marek's disease in the internal organs. Keep in mind that the eye histology has not been completed and will be the last segment of the report.

Anyone know offhand corid dose in water and egg withdrawal time?

Last edited:
I asked for an update on the necropsies of the grey eyed hen and asymptomatic rooster and got this:

The eyes are still being examined because the processing is different from other organs. Both birds have coccidiosis and I recommend treatment with Amprol. No evidence of Marek's disease in the internal organs. Keep in mind that the eye histology has not been completed and will be the last segment of the report.

Anyone know offhand if Amprol is same as corid and what the dose is in water?
Amprol = Corid

Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7 days
Liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom