Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

@KAT Bird
, I am having a giant brain fart. You may have already told us, but-- where in upstate NY are you? (only curious, because a lot of people call anywhere that isn't NYC "upstate" lol)

I live near Binghamton, NY. I think we did talk at some point because I seem to remember that we weren't that far apart.

MAX!!! Out of 3 necropsies it was noted that hen died from damage related to capillaria.
hit.gif
I know what it feels like to think she died from something preventable. But in all, I've always wormed. But never for the 5 days or follow up with valbazen to kill the capillaria. It's just been safeguard 3-4 times a year.

I also could not figure out how any worms got in the pen she's lived in for 5 years and is sand. Then I realized that rats do carry roundworms and I'm sure there's been one in there from time to time. Poop happens. And we are sad.

Hey there seminolewind...

How are your chickens today? Bought some more safeguard liquid today so I can worm all the babies tomorrow...
No further word on Pear-Pear's cause of death..

Hey, I have an urgent question!!!!

Someone has asked me to take 5 pullets that have just started laying. They were vaccinated as chicks against mareks. I'm happy to help them out, but my question is whether it is too dangerous for them to join my flock given the marek's death earlier this fall?

Hey there seminolewind...

How are your chickens today? Bought some more safeguard liquid today so I can worm all the babies tomorrow...
No further word on Pear-Pear's cause of death..

Mine are fine at this moment in time, LOL.
My prelim usually took 5 days, my interim a week later, but maybe 2-3 interims, and my last viral and tissue testing took a month.

Hey, I have an urgent question!!!!

Someone has asked me to take 5 pullets that have just started laying. They were vaccinated as chicks against mareks. I'm happy to help them out, but my question is whether it is too dangerous for them to join my flock given the marek's death earlier this fall?

IMO !!! I think laying age is long enough to add them to your flock.

jgoldy - I haven't read all of the recent posts here but if your hen died of mareks and was around your other chickens at any point, they all have been exposed. It doesn't kill everyone at the same time. I lost mine over months, even close to a year or more.

We aren't possitive that it was maraks, and after a month and no signs seen we are now douting that it was mareks, and the other chickens are vaccinated, I do show, and she was a showmanship bird, but my next show is in january

I have often wondered about the chickens in the north. I live in Florida, so it's the heat problem here.
When I lived in NY, my one rooster and 2 horses were all together locked up and tolerated some nights at 0 degrees. Not many. Minus 30 makes me think about bringing them in the house, LOL!!!! That's awful cold. I don't think I'd want my birds under 0 degrees, but that's me and I truly would not know how to handle minus 30. I know one member long ago who had bantams in Canada and they would all live in cages in his mud room/back door in the winter and let out during the day.

I'm in Canada, not the coldest parts but i get cold enough, i don't heat the chickens including the bantams. Their are some breeds i am sure not cold tolerant so i am not totally against heat but i question with a compromised flock whether it would be of benefit or not? you'd have to be sure you had a back up plan, i know hydro can get sketchy in the winter here not to mention fire risks.

Chickens do grow accustomed to the temps, i mean i have some almost 6wk olds out with their mama right now(silkie bantams) an oppsie hatch.. back in October.

Back
Top Bottom