Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

eggsesive mentioned this somewhere else, but could rye neck be a sign of Maraks? I had that happen to a bird, but how? and what does rye neck do?

Last edited:
In may I had a rooster that came up with wye neck so I was woundering if that was a sign of maraks in my flock

It can be, but it can also be a sign of a dozen other problems as well. I know that is less than helpful! We try to look at all of the clues together to help find an answer. Flock history, and any other symptoms might help.

hi all, just a followup in case it is helpful to anyone dealing with marek's. i was watching my crested cream leg bar 13 week old pullet after a probable diagnosis of marek's by our avian vet on monday. sunday (day 1) she presented with paralysis of one leg. by monday it was both legs. i put her in a dog crate, gave help with regular food and water (she was still happy to eat) and administered anti-inflammatory meds. we were hoping to try to get her through it. although she remained happy tuesday and wednesday, by thursday (day 5) she lost use of her right wing and started having neck/head twitching. food and water intake plummeted. she lost 30 grams so 5% of bodyweight from monday to friday. unfortunately, we made the decision to euthanize her this afternoon. sad. so far, our other 13 week old pullet is not affected, and the four older members of our flock seem fine too. just thought someone might benefit from her progression and timeline. take care...

I copied this off the Cornell avian Marek page. It's the best description there is. Non-specific. But if I saw leg paralysis, I would still bring Marek's to mind as one of the possibilities.

The most common form of Marek’s disease is the lymphoproliferative syndrome, wherein mononuclear infiltrates develop in peripheral nerves and organs. The clinical signs associated with this condition are non-specific and relate to the location of the lesions. A variety of neurologic signs can develop including spastic paralysis of the limbs, exhibited here. This chicken is also gasping, a sign associated with the paralysis of the respiratory and digestive systems.

Lola, my first roo went like that. It was sad, he still looked happy the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom