Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Quote: -Kathy

Ack... yes, massive internal hemorrhaging would certainly cause a lack of blood to the comb. I'm truly sorry to hear it. :(
Thanks, I'm okay with it, the necropsy was very educational.

-Kathy
You are tougher than I am! I'm not to the point yet where I can necropsy my own birds. If they were someone else's I'd be OK with though.

Hello.. my name is lisa and my birds have Marek's or LL.
Sorry to hear your birds are ill. Can you give us some more information about what they are doing?

Update on my ever shrinking flock. Today I had to cull two more pullets - one eight months and the other 20 weeks. That makes four in as many days. I seem to be getting better at it since it is inevitable that I will have to do more. I just bucked up, grabbed the hatchet and did it. The birds went quickly, although I hate it when they flap around afterwards.

None of my birds have had exactly the same symptoms. That is the crazy thing about Marek's; it manifests itself in so many way. I've accepted the fact that I'm going to lose all my juvenile birds. If some of them survive to a year old I'll consider myself (and them) lucky. I only have one eight month old pullet left and a handful at POL. None of them are vaccinated.

My precious olive pullet. RIP

tested and this is what paper said ..

Were they tested?
I haven't gotten the PCP real time done if that's what you mean. I've got to find out how much this will all cost me to do first then see what to do from there. the report only states "Marek's or LL" and when talking to the man he said it states that because he didn't know about age and history so I told him and he reconfirmed LL. however... on the report it states kidney as clean he told me on phone that I was also cancerous. he also told me that it wouldn't make a difference if I did get a PCP that LL is what my birds have and he stresses the age as the determining factor. I think that I might need a second opinion.

ill share my tests again

The only thing I don't see on the report is the age of the hen. How old was she? I had mine confirmed for Marek's through extra histology samples and it was only an extra $20. It did take quite a while to get the results back though.

The only thing I don't see on the report is the age of the hen. How old was she? I had mine confirmed for Marek's through extra histology samples and it was only an extra $20. It did take quite a while to get the results back though.

she was a over a year by days her name was BIG Bertha laid big eggs too and yes fatter than a butter ball that's she was a duel purpose bird.

Back
Top Bottom