Not impressed with shell strength.

I have two feeders. I could do one with layer, which is pellet form, and one with starter/grower, which is a crumble, in the other. When I was transitioning them over, I mixed the two together, and there was a lot of feed that got picked over and ended up on the floor.

I only don't have that issue because I don't mix the feeds together, otherwise mine would also pick out certain items over others.

Out of curiosity, why are you all suggesting starter instead of grower?

I've never seen "all flock" in stores around us but have been mixing a 20% starter/grower crumble with a 17% layer pellet. Same feeders (oyster shell on the side). They don't make much of a mess. Sometimes they throw pellets on the ground, but they go back for them.

The funny thing is our rooster seems to love the layer pellets even more than the hens.

"Grower" is geared more for meat birds, the sort that are well under 6 month of age by the time they're shipped off to 'freezer camp'. The point of the feed is to get your birds big, fast. Not nutritionally sound for a bird you expect to live a year or more, and certainly not balanced enough to hatch any eggs that your hens might lay.

"Grower" is geared more for meat birds, the sort that are well under 6 month of age by the time they're shipped off to 'freezer camp'. The point of the feed is to get your birds big, fast. Not nutritionally sound for a bird you expect to live a year or more, and certainly not balanced enough to hatch any eggs that your hens might lay.

Actually some brands have different growers (just to confuse things more) and may offer a meat bird/broiler formula and a layer/dual purpose formula. So really have to look at the nutrition panel on the bags instead of the name to figure out if it's something you want to use.

I opt for grower instead of starter as one of my feeds as I don't like how the smaller bits of starter ferment vs the chunkier grower.

We use flock raiser crumbles for all our chickens. Hens, Roosters, the seven month old hens. Calcium I add to their feed that I purchase from the store. Easier to add to the feed than a different container. All of them can pick the calcium out of the feed if they need it. I give them the calcium at night with more feed so they have it when they come out in the morning. I give them quite a bit. I usually have to give this to them twice a day. They are picking this out of the feed quite often right now. Ours is eating lots of the feed right now. Seems funny that my cats are eating and drinking and doing what the chickens are doing right now.

I know about little eggs. Our Hybrid girls lays small eggs. Sometimes they are speckled and sometimes not. The Hybrid girls are Australorp/Welsummer. And I monitor the boys.

A little over a month ago I switched from a 16% layer feed to 20% starter grower, which is the closest thing I can find to an all flock type feed.

I have noticed a few weak shells. All of my layers are between 11 and 24 months old. They have always had free choice oyster shells, however I do see they have been hitting them harder now that they aren't getting the layer feed.

I switched for a few reasons. I have a rooster. When I switched, two hens were not laying, however they have now started up again. It was crazy cold, as in colder than -40, and I thought the extra protein would benefit them.

Has there been some benefit? Yes. Egg production is up, and the two that weren't laying are back in the game.

Downside is weaker shells and cost. The cost isn't really a big deal. Layer feed marked price is about $1 per bag less. Also, in MN there is no sales tax on layer feed, but there is on gamebird and what would be considered meat bird/chick starter. I sell most of my eggs, so an extra dozen or two in procudion makes up for the feed cost.

For the first time ever, I had an egg break in my pocket. Not pleasant on it's own, but add to that all the sawdust in my pocket from doing firewood, and it was a joy to clean up. I also had a couple crack when I was wiping them down to package up for sale.

Any suggestions other than going back to the layer feed?

A little over a month ago I switched from a 16% layer feed to 20% starter grower, which is the closest thing I can find to an all flock type feed.

I have noticed a few weak shells. All of my layers are between 11 and 24 months old. They have always had free choice oyster shells, however I do see they have been hitting them harder now that they aren't getting the layer feed.

I switched for a few reasons. I have a rooster. When I switched, two hens were not laying, however they have now started up again. It was crazy cold, as in colder than -40, and I thought the extra protein would benefit them.

Has there been some benefit? Yes. Egg production is up, and the two that weren't laying are back in the game.

Downside is weaker shells and cost. The cost isn't really a big deal. Layer feed marked price is about $1 per bag less. Also, in MN there is no sales tax on layer feed, but there is on gamebird and what would be considered meat bird/chick starter. I sell most of my eggs, so an extra dozen or two in procudion makes up for the feed cost.

For the first time ever, I had an egg break in my pocket. Not pleasant on it's own, but add to that all the sawdust in my pocket from doing firewood, and it was a joy to clean up. I also had a couple crack when I was wiping them down to package up for sale.

Any suggestions other than going back to the layer feed?
I use New Country Organic feed and have the best eggs I've ever seen, very hard shells. My hens are very healthy. The feed is actual seeds. I also supplement with oyster shell and give them high protein treats like split peas and lentils. Their favorite is raisins. This is not an inexpensive solution.

Back
Top Bottom