Not quite the right color

Nodakj

Songster
Jul 22, 2022
1.45 hrs straight east of Fargo ND
Hello all! Got a weird question i guess. So i feed my pullets nutrena all flock which is 20% protein. They seem to be doing well with it and the egg laying is about half of my pullets so far. My question is why are my eggs not an orange color instead of the yellow ? The insides are no different than the eggs from the store in color. I was expecting more orange. I did feed them pumpkins but that was last year and i did not expect that to have any effect by now. So what can i feed them that would boost flavor and color ?

Hello all! Got a weird question i guess. So i feed my pullets nutrena all flock which is 20% protein. They seem to be doing well with it and the egg laying is about half of my pullets so far. My question is why are my eggs not an orange color instead of the yellow ? The insides are no different than the eggs from the store in color. I was expecting more orange. I did feed them pumpkins but that was last year and i did not expect that to have any effect by now. So what can i feed them that would boost flavor and color ?
The orange color in yolks comes from the hen/pullet eating carotenoids. They get lots of that by eating various plant matter when ranging.

I guess i knew it was the diet that turned them the color i wish for. And yes i have read it really makes no difference nutritionally. I guess i was looking for a good answer and so far getting them some dark leafy greens would be my best bet. They will never be free rangers with the amount of natural preditors around here. Unless we find bugs to throw them or something commits suicide by going into the run they will not have many bugs to eat.

I guess i knew it was the diet that turned them the color i wish for. And yes i have read it really makes no difference nutritionally. I guess i was looking for a good answer and so far getting them some dark leafy greens would be my best bet. They will never be free rangers with the amount of natural preditors around here. Unless we find bugs to throw them or something commits suicide by going into the run they will not have many bugs to eat.
Tractor supply sells "Chicken Marigold Snack Mix" for getting the yolks darker.

Back
Top Bottom