ChurchsChickens

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Portland, OR
Hi all!

Not having great luck with my first little backyard flock…

My chickens came home on Wednesday 4/27, and as soon as the next day I noticed our Easter Egger doing some weird movements with her head & neck - sort of squiggle stretching it out long, and opening her beak.

I was out of town for a few days, leaving the gals in the hands of the house human, and upon return, I noticed a large bulge on the right side of her chest.
A quick google, learned a bit about the crop of a chicken, and worried she had something impacted or was suffering from sour crop.

I felt her crop, and it is VERY balloon like. I monitored her for a day before we decided to start treating her for sour crop.

I don’t notice a smell from her or her beak, and her crop seems to be working semi-regularly?

Her chest is flat in the mornings, but right after she eats or drinks anything, the thing swells up.

We’ve had her isolated from food, on a diet of garlic water, organic plain Greek yogurt, and scrambled egg, since Tuesday 5/3, but I’m not really seeing a change in the way her crop is working.

My other chickens don’t have this enormous bulbous crop issue like she does, but the fact that it is emptying each night makes me think it’s not impacted or sour?

I haven’t found a livestock vet as of yet, but I’m really concerned about this sweet little creature and want to make sure she’s doing alright.

Does anyone have any insight on what could be her issue, or what I could do for her?

She's 8 weeks old now, and as mentioned, I've noticed oddities with her since the day after she came home (so 4/28). Her demeanor is great, she's always chirpy and happy to get her special food & drink. We're in Portland, OR, so chicken vet recommendations accepted & appreciated!

In the sour crop article on this site, we've been reading about the miconazole treatment, and we intend to go that route, but we really want to make sure we're doing what we can for her.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I called 2 clinics in the area that are supposed to treat backyard chickens, and one is not accepting new clients, and the other is booked a month out, so I don't think getting in to see a vet is an option :(

UPDATE: Okay, it's sour crop for sure. In my checks on her today, I'm now hearing the gurgling, and she has spit up some white fluid (we've been feeding her yogurt + garlic water, so it could be that).

Purchased some 2% miconazole today, starting the 1/2 inch of the cream 2x daily as per the instructions detailed out in other BYC Posts.

Should I keep her isolated?
Should she have access to grit?
What should I be feeding her in conjunction with the miconazole?

Thanks, all!

Her chest is flat in the mornings, but right after she eats or drinks anything, the thing swells up.

In my checks on her today, I'm now hearing the gurgling, and she has spit up some white fluid (we've been feeding her yogurt + garlic water, so it could be that).
Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (after a full night's sleep).
IF the crop is not empty/flat, then do go ahead and begin treating for sour crop.

When a chicken eats or drinks, you should see that the crop is getting fuller - that is normal. The crop is like a pouch that stores food weighting to be processed further through digestive system. If you are checking her during the day right when she's been eating, then you will feel food/water in there.

Did she spit the water/yogurt up on her own or when you handled her?

Do provide grit free choice.
Provide a nutritionally balance chick starter or all flock feed.
I would not keep her separated unless she's being picked on.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (after a full night's sleep).
IF the crop is not empty/flat, then do go ahead and begin treating for sour crop.

When a chicken eats or drinks, you should see that the crop is getting fuller - that is normal. The crop is like a pouch that stores food weighting to be processed further through digestive system. If you are checking her during the day right when she's been eating, then you will feel food/water in there.

Did she spit the water/yogurt up on her own or when you handled her?

Do provide grit free choice.
Provide a nutritionally balance chick starter or all flock feed.
I would not keep her separated unless she's being picked on.
She spit up after handling her. I’ve been massaging her crop, bottoms up.

We have her isolated so she doesn’t have access to the regular feed (we have them on the organic feed they were started on, payback hatch to hen), as we have read it is important to “starve” the bad bacteria, essentially providing a keto diet, but I would love for her to have free range of the enclosure and be with the other chickens.

Her current set up is that she is in a large wire dog crate within the run / enclosure, so she can still interact with the other chickens, but isn’t able to free feed like the others. We have been bringing her food every few hours (the yogurt, scrambled egg), and providing the garlic water.

I’d love to have her so her thing and eat normally. Is it advised to do this, and continue with the 2x a day oral treatment ?

Thank you so much!! So, SO appreciative of the shared knowledge of this community as we learn to care for our flock!

Back
Top Bottom