Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I can't really see the chicks too well because of the hardware cloth.

Yeah sorry it's the only pic I have of the roosters lol. We thought we would be getting rid of them but have only recently decided to free range them. I do however have a 6 week old black Australorp that was from the hatchery. She is sexed so I know female. I'll take a pic later and post it for you to compare if that helps. :)

Despite the combs? Another member suggested both black birds had too big and too red of combs to be pullets. Guess I wait two more weeks and ask again, I do trust you and summer from what I have been reading for the few weeks I've been on this website.
The Easter Egger and the Iowa Blue have female specific coloring. The Australorp's comb is still pale and small, nothing like a cockerel's at all.

@Auntie Moose

This is my 6 week black Australorp pullet.

One of my black copper maran mix roosters.
Sorry the pics are no good. They aren't much for holding still lol.
I would trust junebuggena on her guess as i think she has more experience with the breeds. I still feel like the australorp may be a rooster though. Its wattles look to be turning red.. good luck. You definitely still have time. :)

Last edited:
@Auntie Moose

This is my 6 week black Australorp pullet.

One of my black copper maran mix roosters.
Sorry the pics are no good. They aren't much for holding still lol.
I would trust junebuggena on her guess as i think she has more experience with the breeds. I still feel like the australorp may be a rooster though. Its wattles look to be turning red.. good luck. You definitely still have time.
smile.png
My Australorp girls had me concerned when their wattles started flushing at 6 weeks old. Don't worry. It's just something that happens when they get excited or stressed.

In this pic, you can see just how red my Jersey Giant's would get. She's a very dependable layer now, but a terrible mom.

My Australorp girls had me concerned when their wattles started flushing at 6 weeks old. Don't worry. It's just something that happens when they get excited or stressed. In this pic, you can see just how red my Jersey Giant's would get. She's a very dependable layer now, but a terrible mom.
Junbugg I don't know you had experience with jersey Giants. I have a couple questions. Can you check out my thread

Back
Top Bottom