Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

This is my rescue baby. I think she's a pullet but I'm not positive. She's my only silkie and against my will, I am smitten. I know I should be looking at her crest for shape and it seems round to me but I'm not sure. I also know I should look for streamers but I'm not sure when I would see them. I tried taking pics of the back of the head. You can see there are some short, thicker feather quills growing in, mostly on the top and back but a few in the front too. I'm not sure if it's just new feather growth or if they could be streamers? "She" is around 4 months. No comb yet either but not sure when that usually starts to develop either!

The crest, comb, and coloring, all indicate pullet.

That's an Austra White. Looks like a female, but need better pics showing the feathering on the back better to be sure. The lump could be scar tissue from an injury.
Here are some better pictures hopefully! I'm hoping this is a hen because if so I will name her scarlet (because of her "scar") and welcome her with open arms. She is really scared of me right now and is in a bit of shock. Also, any age guesses?

I'm just trying to figure out if this bird is a pullet or cockerel. In the side view of the head the comb shows a little color - all the activity may have something to do with that. This bird is about 10 weeks old and was sold to me as an Ameraucana. Both pictures are of the same bird.

This one was sold to me as a buff orpington, now 10 weeks old. Much bigger than the girls that are definitely buff and now I'm wondering if I've got a cockerel as well because of the comb and the tail feathers looking a bit different. What do you all think?

Last edited:
This is exactly the thread I've been hoping to find! Thanks for creating it!
Above is ".Noni". He or sher?
(The other 3 scattered so I'll
take their pics later)

This is "Taz".. Is
Taz a him or her?)

This is "Ernie". Please excuse his muddiness.
He/she needs a bath! Ernie is the one I thought was a cockerel because of the different tail shape...(Is Ernie and Ernesta? or Ernesto?
to be a cockerel becau th

This is Bert (Bert or Bertha). Just today Bert started standing up tall...
Bert again.

Last edited:
Here are some better pictures hopefully! I'm hoping this is a hen because if so I will name her scarlet (because of her "scar") and welcome her with open arms. She is really scared of me right now and is in a bit of shock. Also, any age guesses?

From these photos, I think I see some male saddle feathers coming in. Looks like a cockerel, about 12 to 14 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom