Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

This is exactly the thread I've been hoping to find! Thanks for creating it!
Above is ".Noni". He or sher?
(The other 3 scattered so I'll
take their pics later)

This is "Taz".. Is
Taz a him or her?)

This is "Ernie". Please excuse his muddiness.
He/she needs a bath! Ernie is the one I thought was a cockerel because of the different tail shape...(Is Ernie and Ernesta? or Ernesto?
to be a cockerel becau th

This is Bert (Bert or Bertha). Just today Bert started standing up tall...
Bert again.
Noni and Taz are pullets.Bert and Ernie are cockerels.

Isn't laying, I've had it for three months, doesn't crow, I saw it mounting a hen yesterday.

junebuggena, thanks so much!
Until this morning I thought Bert was going to be Bertha but I saw a change.
Now it's going to be very interesting to figure out who will be with whom.
My adult standard sizes are 1) Snow White, a white leghorn (who is petite and lays huge white eggs); 2) Lucy, a buff orpington who occasionally still lays an egg but is more into the grandmother stage of life; 3)Henrietta, black with golden lace neck (maybe americuana?), also lays great brown eggs.

I'm planning to add a few more young pullets before fall but I've been waiting to find out for sure what genders I have now.

I'll get pics of the other 3 silkie chicks and post them also.

Last edited:
As I read through this thread, enjoying it more and more, I am wondering if any of the kind people here is willing to post comparison pics? For example, when I read about a chick having a red vs pink comb: I'd love to see comparisons so I can learn more.
The same goes with rounded or pointy feathers...as well as any other trait someone would include.
It's a big request and I thank anyone who can help with this.

As I read through this thread, enjoying it more and more, I am wondering if any of the kind people here is willing to post comparison pics? For example, when I read about a chick having a red vs pink comb: I'd love to see comparisons so I can learn more.
The same goes with rounded or pointy feathers...as well as any other trait someone would include.
It's a big request and I thank anyone who can help with this.
Age of a bird has a lot to do with evaluating gender. You look for different things, at different stages of development.

I was pretty sure this one is a pullet, but at 17 weeks she has much more comb and wattle development than her sister. I know BAs are notoriously hard to tell the difference, but by 17 weeks I assumed she would have more male specific feathering.

Her Sister

Back
Top Bottom