Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

So this is our Spike, who is either a Production Red, or RIR. S/he is about 18 weeks old, and my sister in law is suspecting She might be a He. No crowing (yet), she's not at the top of the pecking order, but does seem to pick on all the chickens below her, and at least attempt with the two who are above her. I haven't seen any sort of "mounting" behavior or anything (yet), but I figured I'd ask if maybe she's a cockerel. Her feathers are a tad darker in these photos than they typically are, but not really by much. (It's been so hot, we've had the mister turned on above the run and she had just been standing under it!) If I need to get better photos (maybe ones where "she's" not so damp,) I can attempt tomorrow morning. Let me know what you think! Edit: Left out a few words by mistake, forgot to close parenthesis.
I would take some pictures when not so wet. Your looking for long pointy feathers on the back above the bottom. You can Google rooster saddle feathers to get a better idea. At 17 week you should be able to see them clearly.

So this is our Spike, who is either a Production Red, or RIR. S/he is about 18 weeks old, and my sister in law is suspecting She might be a He. No crowing (yet), she's not at the top of the pecking order, but does seem to pick on all the chickens below her, and at least attempt with the two who are above her. I haven't seen any sort of "mounting" behavior or anything (yet), but I figured I'd ask if maybe she's a cockerel. Her feathers are a tad darker in these photos than they typically are, but not really by much. (It's been so hot, we've had the mister turned on above the run and she had just been standing under it!) If I need to get better photos (maybe ones where "she's" not so damp,) I can attempt tomorrow morning.

Let me know what you think!

Edit: Left out a few words by mistake, forgot to close parenthesis.
Cockerel, even if he is soaking wet.

Thank you SO much! This is great info :)
I had thought Bert's comb was pink-ish, but seeing what you mean by "pale" now I get it. I am so visual in how I learn that I had to see it to understand.
Being that the BR gene can manifest (visually) in a female BR offspring, does that mean it's dominant? If so, why would a male need 2 copies, one from each parent, to appear BR? What would the appearance of a male be if he possessed only 1 copy of the BR gene?
Again, I really appreciate your input and teaching!

This guy is from a project I'm working on. He's about 14 weeks old.

This pic shows what male saddle feathers look like when they start to come in.

These two are about 10 weeks old, one cockerel (on the left), one pullet (on the right). The only difference at this point is in the comb.

This is my first time with chickens so I don't know if it's too early too tell, but I'd like to know if my 2 month old Light Brahma will be a hen or rooster (I can't keep roosters in my neighborhood!) Any help is appreciated, thanks!
*And please let me know if I need to take better or more clear pictures, the fence kind of gets in the way :)

She looks very much like a pullet to me at this point. I'd possibly post some more clear photos of her head/face, but this very much looks like a pullet.

Last edited:
Crooked - I'm hoping it's a roo but
1f615.png
(I'm sorry I don't have comb pics but it's not 2 big) "He's" 6 months old

Back
Top Bottom