Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

The way the barring gene works, a female can only ever have one copy of the gene. Females can only pass the barring gene to their sons, not their daughters. This makes it a 'sexlinked' gene. Males get a barring gene from both their mother and father. Females only ever get a barring gene from their father.
I'll upload some examples of males with a single copy of the barring gene just as soon as BYC starts behaving normally again.
Excellent! Thanks.
If you know of any sections or threads on this forum that discuss genetics in chickens, would you please refer me there?

I've read a bunch on the blue gene bcs I was trying to learn about Mima (silkie hen pictured in my avatar) and her colors.
he is splash, I learned.
Her chicks with Muneco (avatar pic also) started out 2 medium blue, one dark blue, one bright yellow. Noni, who you told me about yesterday being a pullet is the one that was darkest, now med blue with gold breast.
Today's pic I'm going to post for a gender check are the next ones of Lu/Lula, one of the med blues who has turned light blue with gold breast and other markings in gold.
I'm looking forward to learn about their combinations and also potential combos for the chicks later on.

Excellent! Thanks.
If you know of any sections or threads on this forum that discuss genetics in chickens, would you please refer me there?

I've read a bunch on the blue gene bcs I was trying to learn about Mima (silkie hen pictured in my avatar) and her colors.
he is splash, I learned.
Her chicks with Muneco (avatar pic also) started out 2 medium blue, one dark blue, one bright yellow. Noni, who you told me about yesterday being a pullet is the one that was darkest, now med blue with gold breast.
Today's pic I'm going to post for a gender check are the next ones of Lu/Lula, one of the med blues who has turned light blue with gold breast and other markings in gold.
I'm looking forward to learn about their combinations and also potential combos for the chicks later on.
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
This page does a great job of breaking chicken genetics down.

Hello! I another thread on helping all you back yard chicken farmers determine the sex of your chicken.
I know it can sometimes be super tricky to identify gender in chicks, so that's why we made this thread! No need to start your own thread, just hop on here and share a picture of your chick, making sure it's at least 4 weeks old before asking gender. Me and @Jetblack2004 are almost 100% on genders for chicks 4 weeks+.
So feel free to ask lots of questions regarding gender. We do NOT identify breeds, only gender. However, if anyone out there is good at identifying breeds, please let us know, we would love to have your help!

Thanks!

-ftfarmer22
I started a new thread and then realized I should have responded to your thread. Sorry about that. I am wondering if you can tell the gender of these two babies. They are 4 weeks old. One is a large English breed and one is an Olandsk dwarf.

Barred Rocks, and just about any other breed that is pure for barring/cuckoo can be sexed by color. Males get two copies of the barring gene, one from each parent. This makes males look 'lighter'. Females can only have a single barring gene, and it can only come from the father. This gives females a darker look. Having said that, just about any chick with a bright red comb by 10 weeks old is a cockerel. Pullets, regardless of breed, don't start to pink up until they are close to laying. These are all Barred Rock pullets at about 14 weeks old. Some just starting to pink up, some still yellow in the comb. You can also see the broad, rounded back feathers very clearly.
What about RIRs?

We ordered a few pullets. The golden laced Wyandotte seems to have a pretty red cone for only 2 weeks old. What're your thoughts? (I know she's really young but I really want to know
1f622.png
) she's already beautiful

Back
Top Bottom