Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I believe my Silkie chickens are about 6 months old. When I got them I was told that the brown one was a cockerel and the white one was a pullet. About two months ago, the brown one started crowing, but then the white one started copying it. They are the best of friends and follow each other around all the time, but occasionally they try to fight each other (nothing bad, they just kind of bow up at each other). This leads me to believe even more that they both might be roosters. I've tried reading online to sex them better, but like everything I've read has said, Silkies seem to be very hard to sex. If someone could help me tell if they are both roosters that would be great. (This is also my first post!
yesss.gif
)

I believe my Silkie chickens are about 6 months old. When I got them I was told that the brown one was a cockerel and the white one was a pullet. About two months ago, the brown one started crowing, but then the white one started copying it. They are the best of friends and follow each other around all the time, but occasionally they try to fight each other (nothing bad, they just kind of bow up at each other). This leads me to believe even more that they both might be roosters. I've tried reading online to sex them better, but like everything I've read has said, Silkies seem to be very hard to sex. If someone could help me tell if they are both roosters that would be great. (This is also my first post!
yesss.gif
)

Both of them are male. Those combs are just much too large for females.

Ok I have a question....If silkies are too small to vent sex as chicks then why don't people vent sex them when they're older?

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, but was a little confused because the white one doesn't have a walnut comb like the other one. Do you know why that is?

It's because they're hatchery quality. Hatcheries are very lazy these days and don't bother with things like correct combs or anything. Some even sell straight up mixed breeds. Here's a "Salmon Faverolles" I recently got from Ideal Hatchery. I'm guessing it's Oriental Game/Faverolles.

Ok I have a question....If silkies are too small to vent sex as chicks then why don't people vent sex them when they're older?

As I understand it, vent sexing is only easy when the chick is very young, prior to defecating for the first time. After that, they say it becomes much more difficult to see.

They can be vent sexed as chicks. Mypetchicken.com sells sexed silkies...

You're right, they can be, it's just more inaccurate (I believe 75% accuracy is typically quoted) and there is a higher likliehood of injuring the chick during the process.

Last edited:
Looks rooish to me but its definitely to early to tell. Next time if you cant have rooster mypetchicken.com sells sexed silkies. May be the way to go. They are out of stock most of the time but if you check back frequently they will have availability for one hatch lol good luck.

Thanks Jenniferlamar70 :)
I will keep MPC in mind in the future. I only had space to add 1 or 2 birds and wouldn't meet the minimum shipping requirements this time.
I read in one of your recent posts that you feel more confident checking sexing your silkies now that you can check for saddle feathers. What age do you do this? I tried doing this with my boy/girl blue Silkie that is 14 weeks....I see some newer feathers growing in on back, but more near neck than tail. Saddle feathers??? Or just continued feathering out?
Thanks for your help!

Thanks Jenniferlamar70 :)
I will keep MPC in mind in the future. I only had space to add 1 or 2 birds and wouldn't meet the minimum shipping requirements this time.
I read in one of your recent posts that you feel more confident checking sexing your silkies now that you can check for saddle feathers. What age do you do this? I tried doing this with my boy/girl blue Silkie that is 14 weeks....I see some newer feathers growing in on back, but more near neck than tail. Saddle feathers??? Or just continued feathering out?
Thanks for your help!

This is what I noticed. At first I wasn't sure if this was saddle feathers or not but after talking to many people and Googling tons of photos I was then rewarded with a crow lol. So I was right all along just second guessing myself lol here is a pic of when I first started to notice them.

I have 4 polish crested born June 1st. Supposed to be pullets but one started crowing this week. Any ideas on the sex of the Others
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] (the silver one started crowing and I'm pretty sure the white Easter egger is female)?

Back
Top Bottom