Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

1 silkie: loves me and loves cuddles

2 silkie: very shy kind of hates me cuddling with her

Both 8 weeks old

Hello! I have a batch of chicks that are all 4 weeks old, now. I'm posting pics of a few, in case they can be sexed:

Chick #1, Olive Egger. This OE doesn't seem to have much in the way of wattles, but neither do any of my four Easter Eggers of the same age.

Chick #2, Splash Orpington

Chick #3, Easter Egger. This one has loads of personality.

Chick #4, Jubilee Orpington. I am thinking pullet, because her Jubilee Orp hatchmate that started out the same size, and is now HUGE compared to this one, starts all the fights, and has a pinkish comb and wattles.

Thanks for any input you can give at this early date.

Hi there, where did you get your chicks? I have one that looks just like your #2 except for the comb, so I think your #2 is a cockerel. Mine is 7 weeks old & her comb is not as pink as yours. Yours does not look like a Splash, though. It looks like a mottled Orpington/Cochin mix because of the feathers on the legs. (Mine is supposed to be a mottled Orpington, but mine has feathers on the legs too!)

No guesses on the others, but the jubilee Orpington looks female.

It's still early..... but the buff orps still look like females. (#2 looks a little more mature.) The EE also looks female & has the very common EE pullet feather color pattern. The Blk Australorp has a larger comb, so not sure.  At the moment there's no color in it, so no reason to say it's male.  I don't know enough about the breed.

Thanks :) I was pretty sure the EE was female based on what I've been reading here, but wanted to make sure, that means our other one should be too, it's a little younger but same coloring. I hope the Australorp is because it's the only one I have and I can't have Roos lol.

Ok, here are the rest of my 4-week olds. I paired them, for comparison purposes.

Set #1, Frizzled Easter Eggers

This black one is Heather.

Heather on the left, Windshear (more blue-ish) on the right.

Set #2, apples and oranges: an Easter Egger and a Lavender Marans.

Changewing, the Easter Egger

Changewing, EE - side view. I just have no idea! EEs are so mysterious to me.

Callisto, Marans. I'm thinking pullet.

Easter Egger, left and Marans, right. The EE just didn't want to stand, so no leg shots.

Set #3, Jubilee Orpingtons. Charlotte (already posted her pics) on the left, Anne (Andrew?) on the right.

Anne, suspected cockerel, on the right and higher in pic.

Charlotte, left, and Anne, right. Anne is so much bigger!

Thoughts on these?

Hi there, where did you get your chicks? I have one that looks just like your #2 except for the comb, so I think your #2 is a cockerel. Mine is 7 weeks old & her comb is not as pink as yours. Yours does not look like a Splash, though. It looks like a mottled Orpington/Cochin mix because of the feathers on the legs. (Mine is supposed to be a mottled Orpington, but mine has feathers on the legs too!)

No guesses on the others, but the jubilee Orpington looks female.
Hello! I got hatching eggs from Papa's Poultry. The second one came from a pen that had both Splash and Mottled (Spangled) Orpingtons. Thanks for the input re: the comb.

I was curious about the feathered legs as well. I've read that is a disqualifying/undesirable trait in the U.S.; however, I have read that in the UK, "the show strains have feathering that covers their legs, almost to their feet." https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/orpington-chickens/ The ones I hatched are English Orpingtons, so perhaps that explains it?

Enjoy your Orpington!

Back
Top Bottom