Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

View attachment 704602 View attachment 704603 View attachment 704604 View attachment 704605 View attachment 704606 View attachment 704607 This is Lola, like the song, "walks like a woman talks like a man Lola"

Silver Laced Wyandotte, 14 weeks. I've only had her a few days so I'm not sure if "her" behavior is because she is a he or because she is new and they are establishing the pecking order.

I tried to get the relevant picks, but it was challenging.
Are you sure it's 14 wks? Looks like a pullet.

I was told the hatch was Feb. 15, but I only got her recently, so I don't know for sure. My other pullets were supposedly hatched March 1 and the size difference between them makes it plausible.

View attachment 555354 View attachment 555355 View attachment 555356

The gray and white and black chicks are 5.5 weeks old. Same dad different moms. Dad was a silver Wyandotte and unsure moms breeds. We were hoping for a few new hens and I felt we had some but we had a predator attack Friday and lost mama and 5 chicks. These are the two left. I've thought for awhile the white and gray is probably a cockerel, thoughts on both? Thanks!

Funny I was surprised to see both, I didn't think the black one was, and I had to do a double take at the picture I posted. In person her comb doesn't look red at all, so it is strange that in this picture it does look red (I'm calling them her until proven otherwise ;)) I definitely agree that the other one is a cockerel. I'm going to keep hoping the black one is a girl, but am now paying much closer attention to her comb. Crazy, it just doesn't look red in person.

As far as the predator attack, it is a red fox, saw it in person today in my backyard, it was coming back for more! My flock won't be happy not free ranging, but I'm not risking anymore loss right now.
Is the black chick in the last picture the same as the one in the first pic? The legs look feathered in the first and clean in the last, so I thought they were different chicks. The black one in the last pic is not obviously a cockerel at all. In the first pic, it looks all leg and red comb! Goes to show how difficult it can be to sex birds from pictures sometimes, especially when trying to determine how red something is. Still a lot of change can happen after 5.5 wks, so hoping you have a pullet.

I have 2, 10 week old EE's. I was told they were both pullets but I'm not so sure. My son heard what he thought was an attempted crow coming from the hen house so now I'm suspicious. This is Lady Liberty.
IMG_7719.JPG

IMG_7717.JPG
IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

And this is Sam...
IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

What do you think, Roo or Pullet?

Unfortunately, Silkies are one of the harder breeds to sex, and I don't have the knack for it. The other 2 breeds you posted, the Polish and SLWyandotte are also some of the harder breeds. The Polish I also can't help with, so hopefully someone will help with those 2 for you. The Wyandotte, I am suspicious of the white patches forming on the wings, which is male specific coloring. That and the puffy looking comb makes me think yours is a cockerel.

I have 2, 10 week old EE's. I was told they were both pullets but I'm not so sure. My son heard what he thought was an attempted crow coming from the hen house so now I'm suspicious. This is Lady Liberty. View attachment 730631
View attachment 730451 View attachment 730796
View attachment 730905
And this is Sam...
View attachment 731178 View attachment 731022
View attachment 731298
What do you think, Roo or Pullet?
I can't see the combs very well, but from what I can see, they both look like pullets. They can make some strange sounds. I had a hen that honked like a goose! Any other suspects in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom