Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

My white leghorn is getting salmon colored feathers.Still trying to figure out if it is a meat bird. Very large for 7 weeks.

This is my friend's black australorp, not quite 5 weeks old. S/he walks and acts like a roo, but maybe she's just a really assertive lady? What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3868.JPG
    IMG_3868.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi all! I'm hoping for some help identifying the gender of all five of my chickens. First time flock owner here. I'm the most curious about Chicken #1, as they are the largest, they have some red wattles coming in and they seem to be the more aggressive out of the bunch.

I purchased them all from mypetchicken, ordered 4, received 5. I know that I should have a Wyandotte, Orpington, Marans, and Buckeye in the mix, but I'm kind of convinced that Kip is a Barred Rock. I know this isn't the thread for breed identification, but if anyone wants to throw in their two cents on that as well, that would be much appreciated!

Chicken 1
: Atilla the Hen (... hopefully a hen) - Probable Wyandotte?
Here's pictures of her/him at 4 weeks/5 weeks.
View attachment 551429 View attachment 551431 View attachment 551430

Chicken 2: Dumpling, Age 4/5 weeks. Probable Orpington
View attachment 551432 View attachment 551433 View attachment 551434

Chicken 3: Kip, Age 4/5 weeks. Barred Rock? Marans? Mystery Bird.
View attachment 551435 View attachment 551436 View attachment 551437

Chicken 4: Nugget, Age 4/5 weeks. Possible Buckeye.
View attachment 551439 View attachment 551440 View attachment 551441

Chicken 5: Poulet. Age 4/5 Weeks. Possible Marans?
View attachment 551446 View attachment 551447 View attachment 551448 View attachment 551451
The first is a silver laced, chicken 3 looks like an australop to me? Mine is the same age and looks almost identical. Chicken 5 looks like a barred Rock. I believe yellow legs are a barred rock, Marans are pale.

My white leghorn is getting salmon colored feathers.Still trying to figure out if it is a meat bird. Very large for 7 weeks.
White leghorns are white. The brown leghorns are the ones where you can sex based on their salmon feathering. Leghorns are not meat birds but lay prolific eggs and are more slender build with a very large comb. Maybe you are confused on the breed of your chicken? Could you post a picture?

IMG_2700.PNG
Pullet or Cockerel? No idea about its age. It was found by my son's neighbor and they weren't able to find the owner. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 552275 Pullet or Cockerel? No idea about its age. It was found by my son's neighbor and they weren't able to find the owner. Thanks for your help.
Male EE. 100% Probably around 6-7 wks old (because comb is not yet red).
Excellent example of the 3 rows of peas that people talk about. Would you mind if I used your pic sometime to show this? He also has the very patchy looking color with the dark red that cockerels often get.

8 week old EE hen or roo? Doesn't like to be touched or handled AT ALL! Lots of sass with this little one!

Attachments

• IMG_3095.JPG
    IMG_3095.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3096.JPG
    IMG_3096.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 9
8 week old EE hen or roo? Doesn't like to be touched or handled AT ALL! Lots of sass with this little one!
Thin pale comb and even pattern... pullet.
In my experience, bold and curious cockerels are the ones that are "friendly." My EE hens do not like being picked or handled. Best bet for a lap chicken is a buff Orpington. :)

Male EE. 100% Probably around 6-7 wks old (because comb is not yet red).
Excellent example of the 3 rows of peas that people talk about. Would you mind if I used your pic sometime to show this? He also has the very patchy looking color with the dark red that cockerels often get.
Thank you so much for your reply. Please feel free to use the picture. So glad to get a "100%" sure answer!

Back
Top Bottom