Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I had a lavender orp and it matured very slowly. Your second one is probably a pullet compared to the first (and shaped like a pullet), but the first might also be a pullet (no full body pic). Or they both might be cockerels... I'm not helping, am I? I was unsure of the one I had at 10 weeks! Second one is probably a pullet.

That was the best full body shot I could get at this point. I caught the one I think could be male fighting with one of other cockerel's (through the fence as I'm keeping them separated). I knew they could mature slower. I am of course hoping for a beautiful boy! Time will tell. Thanks for the response!

Attachments

• IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    975 KB · Views: 5
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY] is it a rooster or hen?! Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    672 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 5
20170517_083124.jpg
13 week old mixed flock. The silver laced wyandotte, Mochi, is my suspected roo. She has always been prone to biting and has run at the dogs in defence of the other girls. Without another wyandotte it's hard to know for sure but...she's a rooster, right?
mochi's back.jpg

Yesterday I was told this one is a rooster, but I am having second thoughtsView attachment 552700

I also have this one that I need help with.
View attachment 552701 View attachment 552703 View attachment 552704
They are 6 1/2 weeks old and they are Easter eggers
EE#1 has a lot of comb for 6 1/2 wks, very wide and bumpy looking, which is more of a cockerel comb, however the pic is not very clear when enlarged so hard to tell. We would also need a side view of the body to see the color pattern and if any red patches are coming in. At first glance I thought it was a pullet, but I also thought is was closer to 12 wks. If you can take some more pics, we might be able to tell, but chances are you'll have to wait.

EE#2 (a very pretty bird) also has a comb that could go either way. In the side view, I see hints of a darker red patch, but not sure if it's rooster red.

6 1/2 weeks is around the time a lot of cockerels begin to reveal themselves... combs grow and turn red and the plumage takes on male specific coloring. The bad news is we can't quite tell yet. The good news is, you will probably know in a week or 2.

View attachment 55272413 week old mixed flock. The silver laced wyandotte, Mochi, is my suspected roo. She has always been prone to biting and has run at the dogs in defence of the other girls. Without another wyandotte it's hard to know for sure but...she's a rooster, right?View attachment 552752
Not sure if Mochi is a cockerel (Wyandottes can be hard to sex) but if he is already biting, it is doubtful he will be a rooster you will want to keep, especially if you have young children around. Males will develop white patches on the upper wing.

EE#1 has a lot of comb for 6 1/2 wks, very wide and bumpy looking, which is more of a cockerel comb, however the pic is not very clear when enlarged so hard to tell. We would also need a side view of the body to see the color pattern and if any red patches are coming in. At first glance I thought it was a pullet, but I also thought is was closer to 12 wks. If you can take some more pics, we might be able to tell, but chances are you'll have to wait.

EE#2 (a very pretty bird) also has a comb that could go either way. In the side view, I see hints of a darker red patch, but not sure if it's rooster red.

6 1/2 weeks is around the time a lot of cockerels begin to reveal themselves... combs grow and turn red and the plumage takes on male specific coloring. The bad news is we can't quite tell yet. The good news is, you will probably know in a week or 2.
Ok! Thank you! I had originally thought these were both boys and I am fine with either result. Neither have any rooster red right now. I know this because two of my other chicks are for sure cockerels and they have the red patches all over. I will post some more pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom