Not sure what to feed them

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
I have three hens over a year old. With them are two pullets that are about 13 weeks old. They all free range. Since adding the little ones, I moved them from layer feed to the starter/grower and have free choice oyster shell. Since moving them to the starter/grower, one hen has had some problems with thin and soft shelled eggs. She does great on layer feed but she's not eating the oyster shell and she needs to. She's always kinda had what I suspect as a kooky shell gland as her eggs would have a lot of calcium deposits on them while on layer feed. Anyway, does any advice?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat you are. I have 14 week olds in with the big girls. One hen just will not eat oyster shell. Her eggshells get so thin that just cleaning the egg breaks the shell. I tried taking a warm bowl of oatmeal and mixing in some oyster shell for her. Just plain oatmeal for the rest of my girls. I don't want them to feel left out. She gets so excited about the oatmeal that she never realizes the dreaded oyster shell is in there. I try to do this about 3 times a week. I can't wait to go back to layer.

Will she take crushed egg shell in place of oyster shell? Most birds will go nuts for that where they might turn their beaks up at the oyster shell

Will she take crushed egg shell in place of oyster shell? Most birds will go nuts for that where they might turn their beaks up at the oyster shell

I'll try that.

I made her eat probably about a dime sized amount of crushed oyster shell while waiting for answers.

Well, it's a no go on the egg shells. Any other ideas?
She's molting right now so I guess the stress from that could cause this? I just don't want her to become egg bound or something. Maybe I should just force feed the oyster shell? if so, how much?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom