Not sure where to put this - feeding or broody hen

whoop whoop

Songster
Apr 26, 2015
Rainbow Nation
Can I give mine little hen Molly some vitamins? she is sitting on two eggs and I've put water and food right next to her but she is not eating at all. Very worried, its only been two days but she is so small and I've already lost one this way?
Will it distress her to pick her up and force the vitamins in? I can't lose Molly she is my favourite Hen and Henry Roo is in a panic, he hasn't left her alone - just sits guarding her all day. I'm in a panic
bow.gif

Can I give mine little hen Molly some vitamins? she is sitting on two eggs and I've put water and food right next to her but she is not eating at all. Very worried, its only been two days but she is so small and I've already lost one this way?
Will it distress her to pick her up and force the vitamins in? I can't lose Molly she is my favourite Hen and Henry Roo is in a panic, he hasn't left her alone - just sits guarding her all day. I'm in a panic
bow.gif

A broody hen consumes considerably less feed and water - this is by design. The first factor is that her body is consuming less energy as she is so much less active. Secondly, the more she does eat or drink, the more waste her body would produce, which would require her to spend more time off the nest to evacuate that waste. While the inclination to put everything "right there" by her is understandable, it is also misguided. Move the feed and water away from her actual nest so that she can/will get up and move about to access them - this will allow her to function more naturally and will also reduce the risk of nest fouling.
Take a deep breath - there is nothing to be in a panic about, nor any part of the situation that will be helped by being in such a state.

Oh thanks so much, I will do what you say immediately. I know being in a panic is not helpful but I really can't help it. Almost feel I want to kip beside her tonight, but that is just stupid.

Since you’ve lost one I can understand your concern, but I don’t know how sure you are of the exact cause. Could it have been something other than her not eating? The reason for most broody hen’s deaths is mites or lice. There could be other causes having nothing to do with her not eating or drinking. While the vast majority of broody hens do get off the nest to eat and drink, it is always possible one has her instincts messed up so I can’t totally discount your concern, but I very much agree with what OGM said. It’s extremely unlikely this is the problem. But I don’t want you to get fixated on her not eating and drinking when something else might have actually been the cause.

Before a hen goes broody she builds up a large store of excess fat. This excess fat is mostly what she lives on while broody. That way she does not have to leave the nest to eat and drink that often. She still needs to eat some and especially drink while broody, but the need is not that great. Nature took care of a lot of that problem with that excess fat.

I have removed the food like OGM said.

Yes I am sure she died of lack of nutrition she was completely undernourished. It was all my fault as I had builders in to build their 'house' and it was all a mess and none of them could get to eat properly - I didn't spot until too late that the doves were eating all the food. I managed to save Molly and Henry and Chisi with force feeding and Heptonic, and I moved them inside until the building was finished. That particular problem won't happen again - as I am learning all the time but the combination of building mess and lack of food must have been the cause.

I know now, thank to you guys, that not eating is normal - but was still worried. Am fine now!!! They have all the food they want and the birds can't get to it and they are all so healthy - I know it was stupid of me, but sometimes 'you can't see the wood from the trees' if you know what I mean and the blinding obvious just slips passed. You are all so good and I can't thank you enough for all the help over the past months. I am a proud owner a year today and still have so much to learn
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom