Not the breeds they are supposed to be?

GuloGal

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
East Kootenays
So I was supposed to get 1 Production red and 1 Caramel queen (welsummer x light sussex), and when I got them I assumed the brown chick (Jolene) was the red and the yellow/gingery headed chick (Pamela) was the CQ. But now they are 6 weeks old, and Jolene looks exactly like a CQ and Pam is mostly white with a brown head and a couple of brown feathers. Neither looks like a Production red. The hatchery is True North in BC and only has light sussex, CQ, production red, mistral gris, and rockette. What breed is Pam?

Jolene
DSC03215.jpg

Pam (she doesn't like her picture taken)
DSC03217.jpg
DSC03222.jpg

Many of those varieties are unfamiliar, but looking at their website, Jolene looks like a typical caramel queen. Pam doesn't look like anything they sell, but I noticed they have Easter eggers listed, which they are falsely calling Ameraucanas. So Pam could be some type of irregular Easter egger.

Many of those varieties are unfamiliar, but looking at their website, Jolene looks like a typical caramel queen. Pam doesn't look like anything they sell, but I noticed they have Easter eggers listed, which they are falsely calling Ameraucanas. So Pam could be some type of irregular Easter egger.
Do easter eggers ever not have the puffy cheeks or any sign of bearding? She has very much the same silhouette as Jolene and the rockettes (which are just barred rocks as far as I can tell). She is a little smaller than Jolene and a little bigger than the rocks.

Just heard back from the hatchery and they say sometimes their production reds are all white. First I'm finding of it despite much googling. I guess if you stop selecting for colour weird things happens.

Back
Top Bottom