Number of chickens

LaBull

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Quite often when i'm reading the forums, people state that they have 20, 30 or evan 50 chickens. What are people doing with so many chickens? It's obviously way more than needed for personal requirements and no where near enough to make any money from the eggs. So to me it just seems like a lot of extra work and cost for no benefit. Unless they are being eaten. Is this the reason for large flocks or is there something i'm missing out on?

I recently went from 19 chickens to 50 this spring. I just really like having different breeds and I own a large farm so I figured why not ? :)

Spring is in the air, trees are budding, grass is popping up along with all those bulbs you planted last fall, your brooder is empty, birds are building nests all around you, Easter cards covered in chicks are sent, there's room in your coop (or not- who cares?), hatcheries send out fliers and e-mails, your brooder is empty.......... there isn't enough chicken poop in your house............. why not ...?
jumpy.gif

Search "chicken math" and youll fid lots of treads explaining this phenominon :)
I have 4 hens and more eggs than I know what to do with, and I just bought 4 chicks. Because they are fun to watch? Because therre is room in the coop? Because Im crazy? Who knows :)
I assume most people are like me in that manner :)

Back
Top Bottom