Nurses Post

Of course no 2 people are alike, that's a given. And certainly adults, are allowed to make decisions regarding their medical treatment or lack there of, IMHO that is their right. If someone prefers to sit in bed, rocking back and forth and crying in pain all night, that is their right. But some people prefer to relax and sleep at night, and I won't judge them either.
IMHO, Americans are so frightened of addiction that I have seen family members deny pain meds for their loved ones, leaving dying people to live what little is left of their lives in extreme pain.
Something that might get a person berated if they did it to their chickens or pets.

Again just MY personal opinion.

1709893505120.png

I'm trying to work out how to help my mom ask for a cough medicine that's more effective without sounding like it's drug seeking. Wondered if you lovely nurses know the right approach.

After two months of mystery coughing and ear infection (negative covid tests)... I just got the flu then bronchitis and was prescribed Bromphen dm.

My mom got the same 2 days behind me and was prescribed promethazine dm. It doesn't work for her deep, yucky cough. So I just gave her doses of mine and she finally gets relief. Now my bottle is running low. It looks like Bromphen has less severe side effects too.

But I'm a little nervous about asking for a specific medicine!
It could be because I was once mistakenly labeled as an addict in my chart when I asked to NOT receive an opiate after dental surgery, but for a specific Nsaid (ketorolac). It took months of calling, letters, and finally an offended Doctor leading to a complete change of providers before it was corrected.

When I went to pick up the Bromphen, the pharmacy tried to give me Benzonatate instead! It's the most ludicrous medicine, just paralyzing some throat muscles so by the time you've really got the urge to cough it lasts 4 times as long and you feel like you're drowning. I wish they would take that stuff off the market!

I'm trying to work out how to help my mom ask for a cough medicine that's more effective without sounding like it's drug seeking. Wondered if you lovely nurses know the right approach.

After two months of mystery coughing and ear infection (negative covid tests)... I just got the flu then bronchitis and was prescribed Bromphen dm.

My mom got the same 2 days behind me and was prescribed promethazine dm. It doesn't work for her deep, yucky cough. So I just gave her doses of mine and she finally gets relief. Now my bottle is running low. It looks like Bromphen has less severe side effects too.

But I'm a little nervous about asking for a specific medicine!
It could be because I was once mistakenly labeled as an addict in my chart when I asked to NOT receive an opiate after dental surgery, but for a specific Nsaid (ketorolac). It took months of calling, letters, and finally an offended Doctor leading to a complete change of providers before it was corrected.

When I went to pick up the Bromphen, the pharmacy tried to give me Benzonatate instead! It's the most ludicrous medicine, just paralyzing some throat muscles so by the time you've really got the urge to cough it lasts 4 times as long and you feel like you're drowning. I wish they would take that stuff off the market!
@SourRoses I am not that familiar with cough medicines and I know a lot of the new(ly admitted) info has changed recently. Let me look up some information and I will get back to you.

Here is what I found out. (It's lengthy but I promise I'll try to sum it up at the end.)
Brompheniramine (aka Dimetapp) is a combination of dextromethorphan and pseudoephedrine.
-dextromethorphan is cough suppressant. In large doses it has a mildly euphoric effect and has been restricted in some states.
-pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. Because it is chemically an amphetamine it was used illicitly to manufacture meth. (This is why there were restrictions on it's purchase. Behind the counter, age restrictions, photo ID.) It was replaced by phenylephrine because it had much less danger of abuse. They recently admitted it has little danger of working as indicated.
(For nursing students, it is also used in the ICU to boost BP, but in much higher strengths.)

This lady has a good explanation (though she seems a little nervous. I think she's computer generated.) Apparently it's by prescription but someone else may know better.
If I had to call a doctor for some I would stress that it has worked well in the past but the new meds didn't work as well. They should be aware that the phenylephrine was no better than placebo.

Back
Top Bottom