Nutrena Country Feed vs. DuMor

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Are there any pros/cons to these two brands? I am researching organic/non-GMO brands at the moment, but these are the two types of feed that are easily accessible locally. DuMor at Tractor Supply ($16/50lb bag) and Nutrena Country Feed at Agway (same price).

Right now my chickens are on the DuMor because I'm closest to Tractor Supply and that's what they carry in the big bags. I don't really want to drive out of my way or pay a fortune for feed, but I'm willing to pay a little more to advertise the chickens as "organic fed."

Any thoughts? We have 45 chickens at the moment, so I don't want to mess around with the little 5 & 10lb bags...

Sarah

Definitely go with the big bags for the cost savings.
I never fed Nutrena but did feed Dumor for a long time with no complaints. It's made in the same mills as Purina. I think the mill is Great Lakes.

As long as the feed company is a reputable company it's all basically the same thing.Grain products from various grain elevators.To feed 45 chickens with organic feed would be very pricey.Most Non -GMO feeds ditch the corn and soy so it is an easy no gmo claim.There is numerous posts are here were people use the non-corn/soy feeds and don't have good production rate.

Edit. I forgot most Dumor has animal protein.So other than the AP my post applies.

Last edited:
I agree with matt. It's mostly the same.
What I would do is compare the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list on the feed bag tags. That will answer most of your questions.
IMHO, animal protein is superior to vegetable sources for omnivores. I don't remember there being animal protein in the Dumor but it has been a long time since I fed it.

I really like the size of the pelleted layer Nutrena brand, and have found very little broken up pellets in the bag...but I only have 3 chickens. Nutrena only comes in 40lbs and might be a problem with larger numbers of chickens?

Here's 3 feed labels.
Note the Purina label is chick starter not layer.The Armada doesn't have pro-biotics/pre-biotics or marigold.
Aramada $9.99 40 lb
Nutrena layer $15.99 50 lb
Purina Layer $15.49 50 lb.
My local prices in MI.
Purina layer now has probiotics prebiotics.

Purina also is a vegetarian feed, which, along with its high price, is why I don't use it. Just an FYI, if that matters to you as well. Some folks are sort of stuck with what they have locally, of course.

I use Tucker Milling, which incorporates porcine protein as the animal protein ingredient. It costs me less than $13/ 50# currently for regular 16% mini pellets and about 25 cents more for the 22% protein Super Layer. Not everyone can get it and you probably can't, being up in the north. I've avoided Nutrena because of my grudge against Cargill, LOL, and I avoid TSC, generally.

Last edited:
Right now, I've been going through about one 50lb bag of DuMor Finisher per week ($16) and have had no problems. Healthy chickens, all are good. I have 35 eleven-week old chicks and 10 twenty-week-old laying hens/pullets. Right now, since I have this mixed flock of layers and non-layers, I was advised to continue feeding the DuMor Finisher (the second step of their three-step feeding program) and just make sure I have Oyster Shell available at all times.

I don't have the space to separate the flock since it's one big coop and 1600sf of electrified pasture that I rotate around the coop.

So far, from what I've gathered from local friends whose flocks fed all-organic, non-GMO feed, is that the cost will be double. So the Green Mountain Organic feed, for example, typically runs $32/50lb bag versus the $16/50lb bag of DuMor or Nutrena Country Feed.

I'm not sure if adding "organic fed" will make much of a difference to my road side farm stand. Right now, I'm planning on it saying "Pasture-raised, cage-free, fresh eggs!"

Hoping to get $4/dozen for them, but not sure if that will fly. We run the gamut up here--Price Chopper/Stewart's sometimes have $2/dozen eggs and Whole Foods has some for $8/dozen!

I was willing to spend $17-$20/50lb bag on organic feed, but not DOUBLE what I'm paying now! Chicks seem healthy and happy on this crumble plus plenty of free-ranging and other kitchen scraps.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom