Nutritional Deficiency in Chick?

Blacklotus

Chirping
Sep 8, 2016
Australia
Hi all, I am hoping I could get some advice and suggestions for my dear little Attilia who was given to me

She is an Isa Brown hen (I think hen), just turned 6 weeks old today and I think she has a nutrional or some sort of feather problem. I currently have her with another silkie bantam hen Blacky, who is about 7 weeks or so also. They are bestfriends and get along extremely well, they do not bicker. But as you can see, Attilia does not look like a normal Isa Brown for her age! I have had both of them for about 2 weeks now

Atti is happy, bubbly, energetic, eats and poops normally and loves to forage around. I have upped her protein and been feeding crushed hardboiled eggs everyday along with veges on offer. I also add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water and always have available a good quality chick starter feed

Has anyone had a chick in this condition before? will her feathers grow out nicely with her first molt? is there anything else I can do for her? I feel like she was just an unlucky stunted little chick, but I'm staying hopeful she will turn around from this. Hoping there's other chicken owners out there who have had the same within their flock. They are both currently living indoors with us in a large portable pen until Atti grows some feathers to be able to cope outside in the cool weather

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180829_190406-01.jpeg
    20180829_190406-01.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180829_190505-01.jpeg
    20180829_190505-01.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180829_191648-04.jpeg
    20180829_191648-04.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 9
Is she losing a lot of feathers? If she is, then she might be molting! It’s molting season too.
Molting is a normal stage of every chicken’s life. It’s like shedding feathers. When winter comes, she will grow it again.

She isn't molting..She hasn't grown in feathers or they have been pecked off. She looks a bit pecked to me..
Yes I saw her preening herself a lot, but never saw her pull them out. I might also add that she had this problem before the silkie was introduced aswell. So she was definitely self harming. But since adding the extra eggs daily and lots of goodies i've noticed over the past week new feathers sprouting through.

Yes I saw her preening herself a lot, but never saw her pull them out. I might also add that she had this problem before the silkie was introduced aswell. So she was definitely self harming. But since adding the extra eggs daily and lots of goodies i've noticed over the past week new feathers sprouting through.
What feed are they eating?

Back
Top Bottom