Nutritional/Hydration Ideas for Sick Hen - Syringe Fed after Coyote Attack

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
I had a coyote attack and one of my hens is injured. She has a lot of cuts on her face and I'm treating those with a spray and there appears to be no infection starting. She does not have anything broken. This was two days ago and she is slightly better, but is not eating or drinking on her own, so I have been giving her water from a syringe and she has been taking it easily. I know she needs some nutrition as well and am wondering if anyone knows of something I could add to the water to help her get some nutrition and energy. Hopefully something that most people have in their home, cause our feed stores don't have much for chickens.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sylvia

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of The Chicken Chick
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

This may help. You could also try bribing her with something super yummy like scrambled eggs they almost never turn their nose up at scrambled eggs, a lot of other people use yogurt and you can always look into tube feeding if she keeps refusing to eat...

Back
Top Bottom