NY chicken lover!!!!

Lost my Blue silkie tonight.
hit.gif
I went out this afternoon to find her not her self so I picked her up to give her some snuggle time. When I went to move her around in my arms I realized that she was covered in poop and not breathing really well. I brought her in right away and cleaned her up and gave her some medicated food and some water. She started eating right away, but her breathing sounded like she had fluid in her lungs. It was really raspy and she was having a hard time breathing. I was hoping that she had just breathed in some dust from sleeping on the floor...I took the kids up to bed and when I came down to check on her, she was gone....very sad...and I don't want to have to tell my kids that they lost their favorite chicken.

So sorry ..was she 8 months ish ? thats when stony says the heart problems show up
I ve always told the truth to my kids . doesnt mean that you need to tell them everything . but what they can handle .
She was very sick & she was in pain.. you tried to help her & make her more comfortable ...but she died & she is no longer in pain

I knew how to shoot before I knew how to ride a bike. I got my first gun at age 9, a 22 for my birthday. By the time I was 10 I was hunting squirrels and rabbits by myself. At 11 I was using my dad's 243 to hunt deer. In my family hunting was just part of the growing up process. I wasn't allowed a bb gun though, because my dad didn't want me to think of a gun as a toy, and I had alot of instruction at a young age.

hit.gif
I went out this afternoon to find her not her self so I picked her up to give her some snuggle time. When I went to move her around in my arms I realized that she was covered in poop and not breathing really well. I brought her in right away and cleaned her up and gave her some medicated food and some water. She started eating right away, but her breathing sounded like she had fluid in her lungs. It was really raspy and she was having a hard time breathing. I was hoping that she had just breathed in some dust from sleeping on the floor...I took the kids up to bed and when I came down to check on her, she was gone....very sad...and I don't want to have to tell my kids that they lost their favorite chicken.
I am so sorry. That is so sad. HUGS

she might need a little more room to get out and poop.  When she does it will be Fuccillo HUGE and stink like crazy.   Don't worry she won't starve to death.  If you're sure the eggs are fertile and they've all started at the same time, just leave her to do her thing.  Some folks keep poking and prodding like she can't do this on her own.  

Well I am only because not all my girls eggs started at the same time. I've been pulling chicks as they hatch and moving them to a brooder. 

I've read to do this and then when all eggs are hatched give her back her chicks.  Some hens will take them back. Every female is different.  Take it from someone who's been married six times, I KNOW!   ;)  

Oh and for heavens sake don't stay away so long. :p

Thanks i moved stuff around! We've been letting her be just worried about other hens bothering her but she did pick a spot away from the coop n away from the dogs so I guess she's a smart girl.

I know I really misses you guys had a bunch of craziness in my life.

@ luvmy hicks. Give grandpa a hug for me. Anyone that goes to the state fair HAS to eat at the nys grange oz roast. Some of the best food you'll find. It's also where you'll probably find luv!

Sounds yummy

Lost my Blue silkie tonight.:hit I went out this afternoon to find her not her self so I picked her up to give her some snuggle time. When I went to move her around in my arms I realized that she was covered in poop and not breathing really well. I brought her in right away and cleaned her up and gave her some medicated food and some water. She started eating right away, but her breathing sounded like she had fluid in her lungs. It was really raspy and she was having a hard time breathing. I was hoping that she had just breathed in some dust from sleeping on the floor...I took the kids up to bed and when I came down to check on her, she was gone....very sad...and I don't want to have to tell my kids that they lost their favorite chicken.

So sorry to here.

I was never allowed a gun. My mother was way over the top protective. Bordered on nuts. Yeah I'd say nuts. :tongue

Anyhow it's been out in the yard with the chickens and runs to the hole when it sees me.  I reckon I need to get it out and chase it in the opposite direction while I cover the holes it has to get under the coop.  There are plenty of places for it to go. 

Chickens don't seem to mind, but I do.  

Cement in the hole? That and dogs worked for me.
OMG rancher you're a trip.

hit.gif
so sorry to hear..hope you can find away to break it to them ..a parents job is never easy ..but always worth it ..

i am just wondering ..i no we are told to quarantine our new birds from any older or existing flock ..how do they keep their birds that are taken to the fairs from catching something from the bird in the next cage ...and once they bring their birds back to the flock , i am sure they would have to quarantine them then..anyone who does the fairs with answers or anyone that knows for that matter , thanks in advance....

Back
Top Bottom