NY chicken lover!!!!

i am just wondering ..i no we are told to quarantine our new birds from any older or existing flock ..how do they keep their birds that are taken to the fairs from catching something from the bird in the next cage ...and once they bring their birds back to the flock , i am sure they would have to quarantine them then..anyone who does the fairs with answers or anyone that knows for that matter , thanks in advance....
When I take a bird to a show I put Denagard in their water. Its an antibiotic and I do it just to prevent them from catching something. So far it works. Then quarantine them for at least 2 weeks.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the state (or surrounding states perhaps) that sells organic, soy-free chicken feed? I was planning on mixing my own (very basic) feed since we started out with our chickens as free range, but one of our shelties killed and ate one of them yesterday. :( So we will need to fence them in and feel more comfortable feeding them something commercial since they will be confined. If there isn't anywhere local and I need to order online, does anyone else who lives within an hour or two of me (I'm in Prattsburgh) want to go in on a large order with me?

Does anyone know of anywhere in the state (or surrounding states perhaps) that sells organic, soy-free chicken feed? I was planning on mixing my own (very basic) feed since we started out with our chickens as free range, but one of our shelties killed and ate one of them yesterday. :( So we will need to fence them in and feel more comfortable feeding them something commercial since they will be confined. If there isn't anywhere local and I need to order online, does anyone else who lives within an hour or two of me (I'm in Prattsburgh) want to go in on a large order with me?
There is a store called Higbie that people keep telling me about. http://www.higbiefarmsupplies.com/

Thanks! It looks like they only have big name brands listed on their website, but I'll contact them when they're open on Tuesday and see if they have anything organic and soy-free. :)

Pine creek farm store in Lyons sells organic feed. I have bought organic layer feed from them. It's a bit more expensive but worth the effort.

Rancher, we have a groundhog too. They eat veggies. They cause lots of veggie damage.. My beans were climbing around a pole ....and groundhog ate and caused the beans to fall.

Thye love parsley....att of mine. I have a trap...with veggies. GET RID around your veggies...
THE GROUND HOG. Aria

I've been making sauce and canning both it and whole tomatoes this weekend. The chickens like the scraps from it but DH says it makes a mess in the barn. He says they can dig it out of the compost when they are ranging instead. Hope everyone else is getting good results from their gardens.

Pharm -- I'm glad your trip went good.

Rancher-- How's DW doing?

Welcome Newbies!

This year has just been really bad for me chick wise. A blown heat bulb on the only cool days of this month so far cost me over 30 chicks a couple days ago. Luckily the guinea keets and poults weren't outside yet. The sole survivor was a little barred rock pullet, and you can bet that she sticks around and gets to breed. She's apparently a very hardy little thing. So I decided to do one last major hatch this year of my own eggs. All pullets stay, all roosters get rehomed or eaten. Penny, my buff orp, has graciously offered to help by going broody, so I'm letting her do her thing.

How is everyone? I haven't been around much lately and I'm way too behind to catch up.

This year has just been really bad for me chick wise. A blown heat bulb on the only cool days of this month so far cost me over 30 chicks a couple days ago. Luckily the guinea keets and poults weren't outside yet. The sole survivor was a little barred rock pullet, and you can bet that she sticks around and gets to breed. She's apparently a very hardy little thing. So I decided to do one last major hatch this year of my own eggs. All pullets stay, all roosters get rehomed or eaten. Penny, my buff orp, has graciously offered to help by going broody, so I'm letting her do her thing.

How is everyone? I haven't been around much lately and I'm way too behind to catch up.
This type of thing happened to me twice. Now I keep TWO bulbs going. Lately I've been buying these. I figure to use these AND a red light. These do not get as hot but should the light burn out be warm enough to keep chicks alive. Plus they can be lowered a bit closer to the chicks. You can get them on ebay I just noticed for $2.99 each. 100W but still warm enough. They do come in higher watts but are very expensive. Ridiculously expensive. I ordered more than one of the 100 watters and figure to order more.

Those 250W red lights burn out quickly. I think because they get so hot. You can't count on them to last. If you insist on using them you might consider using more than one and be sure one of those is brand new.

mexf3PQGSDIN9oZ3HX5ElQA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom