NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi I am from CENTRAL NY. My husband and I live 20 miles north of Syracuse.
Let me tell you....I love my girls! However, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy chicks before the COOP again!!
Congrats on the new chick obsession ..they are some work & lots of fun ..
Welcome to the thread ...
Have you heard of chickenstock in May ?

Hi I'm from western NY in Wayne county! We got our first 6 chicks 4 weeks ago! They will be 6 weeks on Friday! My kids got to name them, they are speckled Sussex. Named sharky, Amelia, Evangeline, cutie, duck and speckle! Funny names but such cute girls! Only problem is my 10yr old daughter has decided now that she wants to go vegetarian because the animals are too cute!!! Lol!

Hi I am from CENTRAL NY. My husband and I live 20 miles north of Syracuse. Just started raising chickens 7 weeks ago tomorrow. In fact, my husband was out of town at the time. I have been wanting chickens for YEARS! However, the DH wouldn't take me seriously so....2 days before he came home, I bought 6 baby chicks. Yup....SURPRISE
Let me tell you....I love my girls! However, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy chicks before the COOP again!! Omg....they. Grew out of the brooder faster than the speed of lightning. Now they are in a large dog crate and we are scrambling to build our coop. Between the feeding watering and bringing them outside for a couple of hours, then chasing them back in, the cleaning the worrying and the just plain laughing at them...I am tuckered out! We won't mention my full time job.
Anyway, I have Thelma and Louise, my black Jersey giants, Mary Anne and Ginger, buff orphintons, Bea is a silver laced wyandotte and Charlotte is my golden laced wyandotte. Interesting mix with loads of personality.
If I could only complete the coop.

Sounds like a busy household - welcome! The Chickenstock 2015 thread will give you the where & when. Basically, it's a gathering of chicken addicts for swap/meet/eat/buy/sell. Should be a lot of fun - check it out!
frow.gif

Hi I am from CENTRAL NY. My husband and I live 20 miles north of Syracuse. Just started raising chickens 7 weeks ago tomorrow. In fact, my husband was out of town at the time. I have been wanting chickens for YEARS! However, the DH wouldn't take me seriously so....2 days before he came home, I bought 6 baby chicks. Yup....SURPRISE
Let me tell you....I love my girls! However, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy chicks before the COOP again!! Omg....they. Grew out of the brooder faster than the speed of lightning. Now they are in a large dog crate and we are scrambling to build our coop. Between the feeding watering and bringing them outside for a couple of hours, then chasing them back in, the cleaning the worrying and the just plain laughing at them...I am tuckered out! We won't mention my full time job.
Anyway, I have Thelma and Louise, my black Jersey giants, Mary Anne and Ginger, buff orphintons, Bea is a silver laced wyandotte and Charlotte is my golden laced wyandotte. Interesting mix with loads of personality.
If I could only complete the coop.
LOL...I hear you! I go from plastic totes to bunny cage to bunny hutch to outdoor coop.... I have maybe 3 coops left to build so my small chicks are still inside....silkies, honas, and smaller guys growing out.

Gramma chick Do, I have not, what's it all about?
Its a meet up ..
To sell / to buy chickens , ducks , rabbits , plants , seedlings, trees ,
A Chinese Auction , A Picnic .
Most people from this thread meet at least once each year ..at some ones house .
this years
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948030/2015-new-york-chickenstock
Quote: We did the same thing for our 1st coop ..it was great incentive to get it up .
have you been able to research .about coops?
such as dont use chicken wire..predators can chew through it ...as everything likes chicken ...
Make it too big.. as you will always want to upgrade , etc

Its a meet up ..
To sell / to  buy chickens , ducks , rabbits , plants ,  seedlings,  trees ,
A Chinese Auction ,  A Picnic .
Most people from this thread meet at least once each year ..at some ones house .
this years
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948030/2015-new-york-chickenstock
We did the same thing for our 1st coop ..it was great incentive to get it up .
have you been able to research .about coops?
such as dont use chicken wire..predators can chew through it ...as everything likes chicken ...
 Make it too big.. as you will always want to upgrade , etc
yes I have, I am eyeballing the one in progress now thinking it's too small. But, hubs thinks it is ok. We are building a she'd roof type on a platform. If it's too small, then he will have to build another,one and place it back to back. I have plAns! Lol!

yes I have, I am eyeballing the one in progress now thinking it's too small. But, hubs thinks it is ok. We are building a she'd roof type on a platform. If it's too small, then he will have to build another,one and place it back to back. I have plAns! Lol!

After I built my first coop, I realized I would have to add on. I simply extended the footprint and doubled the size. Coop #2 is almost finished now and will house my 'incoming' from Chickenstock! The duck hut is ready for the ducks, but I will need to use coop #2 for a couple of weeks I think. Fingers crossed it will all work out!
fl.gif
celebrate.gif

Can't remember who but I told them I would put up a picture of my pallet pig pen, just need to make the door, add 1or 2 more pallets to the back wall, pound in some metal posts sand move the calf hutch and it will be piglet ready :)

Back
Top Bottom