NY chicken lover!!!!

Is anyone going to the swap on Oct 1st at TSC in the Ithaca area?
I'm considering it & would love to meet up with others from here if you are going.

Is anyone going to the swap on Oct 1st  at TSC in the Ithaca area?
I'm considering it & would love to meet up with others from here if you are going.

Didn't know they were having one!
I'll be at Hollenbeck's Cider Mill beginning this weekend for the fall, so can't make it :(

Is anyone going to the swap on Oct 1st  at TSC in the Ithaca area?

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to make it to that swap. I have a handful of birds I'd like to move before winter.
Anyone here interested in these guys:
2 Silver Spitzhauben cockerels and a Chamois spitzhauben Rooster. Also have a few pullets and hens available if you are willing to take a cockerel or roo.

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to make it to that swap. I have a handful of birds I'd like to move before winter.
Anyone here interested in these guys:
2 Silver Spitzhauben cockerels and a Chamois spitzhauben Rooster. Also have a few pullets and hens available if you are willing to take a cockerel or roo.
how many total are you looking to move? I will have an empty coop in 3 weeks.

@tao chick Did I miss the barbanter boy? It's been an insane month.

HI all, I don't post often, but try to keep up with the thread, coo over the tiny chick pics, and feel so sad reading of losses, great to read of the chickens relocating between people on the thread, and that everyone enjoyed Chickenstock.

Tonight I'm hoping for some advice, about possible 1st cases of bumblefoot in 2 of our 4 chickens - I have noticed occasional limping recently, and occasional pecking or looking at the bottom of their feet. They both are still very agile, run, jump up and down, clamber on stuff, free range on all kinds of ground for several hours a day, still eating and drinking fine, but tonight I noticed that there seems to be some swelling on top of one of the feet. These 2 are the chickens who hate being handled, flap and squalk, generally act very stressed, gasping with open beaks when I pick them up. I know ideally I should accompany this post with pics, but also feel that whatever I do will be stressful for them, so if I have to get pics, I should be fully prepared to do some foot cleaning and soaking etc at the same time.

I've tried to do some research about the best approach to take, from many, many threads on here, my chicken care books, Youtube vids of chicken owners doing a procedure, even a chicken under full anesthetic at a vets office for foot treatment. Sadly, I am now more confused than before I started!

Generally an initial foot soaking in Epsom salts seems to be agreed upon, but after that, for one place with set recommendations, there is another with opposite advise, you should make a cut around the black scab and dig out everything you can, then you shouldn't open up the foot, just apply medications, or make up a poultice, use raw honey, foot should/shouldn't be wrapped, chicken should be separated - don't separate chicken as this adds to stress, do everything now - leave them be, some chickens heal on their own ....

I'm even finding for every product recommended, there are arguments for / against, some appropriate for when there is a scab, but which should never be used on an open wound, if you use iodine, it's terrible to use the orange colored kind it should be clear. Even some concerns about bathing using regular tap water (in our case this would be well water) as bacteria may be present....

So, before I do anything, I thought I'd ask fellow BYC members from this NY thread for their experiences and advise, also wondering about the mental aspect of this - I have worked as a receptionist at a small animal vets office (cats only) for almost 10 years, watch all kinds of life and death situations, surgeries, abscess flushes, big wounds sutured back up with drains in etc, and none of it phases me - however that is all performed by a veterinarian and licensed vet techs, usually under anesthetic. I'm very anxious if the advice is to perform a procedure whether I could actually do it, concerned about causing pain, whether my panicky girls would actually magically be subdued if wrapped in a big towel, or thrash about potentially meaning I may damaging other parts of the foot, even if I could get through it without throwing up mid procedure! (None of the vets I work with have any chicken experience, but it may be possible to get one of them to come over and help if a procedure is the way forward)

Thanks!

@Purple Iris I've never dealt with bumble foot, guess I've been lucky, or my birds have been lucky. IMHO if per chance I ever had, I would go with what you said "you should make a cut around the black scab and dig out everything you can" looks like it comes out like a corn nugget, following threads this seams like the best option I have seen, wrap it and keep it clean after. Just my opinion of course having never dealt with it. The one's I have seen/heard deal with bumble foot that's what they have done.
You said swelling on the top of the feet though, I would double check, whether they like it or not, clean the foot up and take a better look, might just be a temporary minor injury. They can get leg scale mites? also? never had this with mine either, but you never know. You don't post much, let us know what you find out, helps us all see what to do/keep a look out for.

Got one pretty pullet ? My husband thinks Cutie looks like a road runner .
The broody hens got him good the other day ..
the tip of his tail and his wing ..he was squished in a small spot in the coop ..
Good thing he is So skinny ...I couldnt tell where his head or tail was .
I was glad I decided to check on them before we did errands

He has healed up nicely ...he pecked me when I sprayed Blue coat on him ..Im sure it hurt him real Bad ...as he is very gentle and not aggressive to me at all

Back
Top Bottom