NY chicken lover!!!!

how many total are you looking to move? I will have an empty coop in 3 weeks.

@tao chick Did I miss the barbanter boy? It's been an insane month.

Extra Brabanter was processed yesterday. He was not being worked with enough to maintain good roo status and crowed all day long. 3 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. didn't matter. I'm down to the two lead roosters I will keep. March is next process day when the chicks grow out.

Hens are molting.

Thanks for your response @ Beer can, to my bumblefoot post with request for advise - a friend has offered to come and help me at the weekend, so will at least have extra hands for catching them, and getting them set up for the 20 min initial soak before clean up (read an ingenious idea on one thread, of putting shallow Epsom salt solution in the bottom of a bucket, putting chicken in the bucket and cover with a slotted laundry basket weighed down with a brick, so they get their soak, without you having to hold them down, making that first part less stressful for both involved. Will take pics and put up on here as you suggested.

Last edited:
@Purple Iris your chickens are very lucky that you are willing to address the bumble foot issue directly. The procedure is really not that bad and works much better than any topical medications. I've done it on a couple birds. I do have a few suggestions:
-The Chicken Chick website has a great video on the procedure, if u haven't already seen it, it's worth looking up.
-Do the procedure after dusk. This way there's no chase & catch, just pull the bird off the roost and carry to the house or wherever. Then put her back where u found her when ur done.
-for the soak, I used a shallow tub (4-5" deep) hold them. My birds just stood there (held in place) in the salt water as I talk to them. Lights are dimmed at this point and they stay fairly calm. I'd worry about the laundry basket & brick might room for the bird to freak out & hurt themselves, but I have not tried that method.
-wrap ur chicken in a towel for the procedure and cover their head enough so that they see darkness, but open enough so they can still breath. They won't move as much w darkness.
-have everything u will need ready before u start, including the vetwrap, telfa, etc.
-breath, you will be fine
-lower your perches in the chicken house and soften up their bedding and other surfaces they walk on. I added sand to the runs and increased the amount of shavings in their house at my place.
Hope that helps.

@Purple Iris your chickens are very lucky that you are willing to address the bumble foot issue directly. The procedure is really not that bad and works much better than any topical medications. I've done it on a couple birds. I do have a few suggestions:
-The Chicken Chick website has a great video on the procedure, if u haven't already seen it, it's worth looking up.
-Do the procedure after dusk. This way there's no chase & catch, just pull the bird off the roost and carry to the house or wherever. Then put her back where u found her when ur done.
-for the soak, I used a shallow tub (4-5" deep) hold them. My birds just stood there (held in place) in the salt water as I talk to them. Lights are dimmed at this point and they stay fairly calm. I'd worry about the laundry basket & brick might room for the bird to freak out & hurt themselves, but I have not tried that method.
-wrap ur chicken in a towel for the procedure and cover their head enough so that they see darkness, but open enough so they can still breath. They won't move as much w darkness.
-have everything u will need ready before u start, including the vetwrap, telfa, etc.
-breath, you will be fine
-lower your perches in the chicken house and soften up their bedding and other surfaces they walk on. I added sand to the runs and increased the amount of shavings in their house at my place.
Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for this great advice, got vetwrap and Vetericyn spray, along with disposable gloves, epsom salts, tweezers, Neosporin (without pain killer ingredient) today, can get scalpel from work. Added sand to the runs, and bought 2 new bales of straw to pad things out in the coop and runs afterwards, have 2 height slots for roost so can move to lower one. Thanks for idea of working after dark, can put my folding table out on front porch next to coop, get the 'surgery suite' all set up, including a nifty trick I saw in another vid of having the vetwrap pre-cut into thin strips that wrap easily between the toes.

Thanks so much for this great advice, got vetwrap and Vetericyn spray, along with disposable gloves, epsom salts, tweezers, Neosporin (without pain killer ingredient) today, can get scalpel from work. Added sand to the runs, and bought 2 new bales of straw to pad things out in the coop and runs afterwards, have 2 height slots for roost so can move to lower one. Thanks for idea of working after dark, can put my folding table out on front porch next to coop, get the 'surgery suite' all set up, including a nifty trick I saw in another vid of having the vetwrap pre-cut into thin strips that wrap easily between the toes. 

Sounds like u have got everything under control. Keep us posted on how it goes. Wishing u & ur chickens well!

Anyone else have molting birds?  Poor Big Delores is dropping feathers like crazy. You'd think there was a plucking going on. 

Yup, some of them awhile back, fully feathered now, some are now molting.
Daughter #2 just joined FFA and they're having a FFA fair at school, wanted to take some of our white giant's....told her she'd have to take the naked necks, giant's look awful, she really wanted to take the giant rooster cause he's a huge monster and easy to handle. His tail feathers all fell out and his neck looks anemic, must have lost feathers there also.

My silver spitzhauben roo looks like he got beat with an ugly stick. His nifty hair doo is gone as well as his neck and rear-end. My favorite rir looks like the roosters put her up wet after a drunk night. Her feathers are 1/3 gone. The only grown birds that look good are my BA and they are fat happy ladies .

Back
Top Bottom