NY chicken lover!!!!

Finally got a good picture of "Nervous Nancy" while I was outside trying to get some better pics for my website. She is definitely going to be bigger than her momma!

Really happy with the way she feathered out, she seems to be calming down a bit too which I like. She now struts along at the same pace as Gru and Stella, isn't as frantic anymore. It's like she's finally matured from Chick to Hen!

This is my little sizzle boy:

She is pretty and he's very nice too. I've got a Frizzle hen with my Lav Auracana hoping for a Lav, frizzle. Though she is Del patterned. He is also with three Columbain Rock hens too.

Hi all! I am new to this site, as well as to chickens. I have made the chicken coop, now I can't find the chicks! Does anyone know where I can get chicks in the Long Island area ASAP. I've called a few places and they all say May. I would like to get my chicks started under the lamp so they can go out in 6 weeks. If no places in LI, is there a website that will deliver relatively soon? Thank you!
Ron

You might want to try the Southern NY thread, a lot of us here are way north of you. I'm sure you'll have better luck finding someone close to you there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/534036/southern-ny-dutchess-county-and-below

Hi all! I am new to this site, as well as to chickens. I have made the chicken coop, now I can't find the chicks! Does anyone know where I can get chicks in the Long Island area ASAP. I've called a few places and they all say May. I would like to get my chicks started under the lamp so they can go out in 6 weeks. If no places in LI, is there a website that will deliver relatively soon? Thank you!
Ron

:welcome! We're all a little far from you but there is another NY thread that's pretty active and you may find someone close to you there who has chicks. Also, if you check out hatchery websites, like Meyer, the day they ship (that's Monday for Meyer) they list all the extras that they have available for shipping that week and that day. Not as good a selection, but you could definitely snag some chicks that way.

1924538_660669680641563_673474102_n.jpg
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Ron
Welcome !
They have chicks at Tractor supply ...right now is this too far for you ?
Tractor Supply Co, #15A, Flanders, NJ
You could try Craigs list for something local to you also

Ron
Roberta Collins. pm me & I'll give you her number. She has nice birds.

Last edited:
Updated pic of the Polish/Silkie cross chicks: I'm really liking these chicks, even though they are not what I was expecting from the eggs I got. I have a feeling they're going to be really soft like the Smooth Sizzles I have.
Very cute chicks!
Finally got a good picture of "Nervous Nancy" while I was outside trying to get some better pics for my website. She is definitely going to be bigger than her momma! Really happy with the way she feathered out, she seems to be calming down a bit too which I like. She now struts along at the same pace as Gru and Stella, isn't as frantic anymore. It's like she's finally matured from Chick to Hen! This is my little sizzle boy:
I have 2 girls that look like him only they are darker. Just love them. Cecilia and Thora
I'm leaving on a jet plane on Wednesday. :yesss:
You made me break out into song and everyone here at the table thinks I'm crazy. So glad you are going someplace, hopefully warmer. I asked my son if he wanted to make a trip for me and he advised me that he already was going on a trip, fishing. I'm always the last to know that I'm baby sitting. Give me 1 more day to see if I can work things out.

I've had two seemingly healthy turkeys die in just over a week after showing nonspecific symptoms for less than a day. One was my Pencilled Palm tom, and the other was the gray PP hen. Now my smaller Bronze tom is showing signs of illness as well. It *looks* like coccidiosis - the affected birds are hunching over, fluffing up, drawing their heads in, walking very slowly, and have signs of diarrhea around their vents. There is no blood in the droppings, but the strains that affect turkeys don't generally cause bloody diarrhea. I can see coccidiosis because of stress from this never-freaking-ending winter weakening the poor things. They're now getting Corid, vitamin supplements, and apple cider vinegar in their water. I'm absolutely sick over it. Well, my husband just walked through the door and told me that around 150 dead birds were found dumped near the Nassau water treatment facility. That's less than a mile from me. It's both creepy and extremely concerning, especially because the feathers shown (why they aren't specifying the bird species involved, I don't know) look like game bird feathers.

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local...Rensselaer-County/vcYl_hvEdUe2Z2Uy5WWdoQ.cspx

Edited to add a Huffington Post link with more details. Game birds. Good grief. Whether the poor things died of a contagious disease or were all killed, it's disturbing and sickening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/24/pile-of-dead-birds-found-new-york_n_5022856.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom