NY chicken lover!!!!

Of these 200 people there where 50 or less from BYC ( includes the children ) - all of those donated something as far as I know .I brought $20.00 of Hofman hots myself
The others....nON byc I didnt see that they brought anything . (You would know this better than me )
I think if you are going to invite the public you should charge because most probably didnt bring anything..Right ?
You could just make this one a closed group or charge a cover charge per person
Figure maybe $5.00 each ..If you say Free Food People will Come & THEY DID !
wink.png
I was not aware there were non byc members. At Tabs it was all or mostly all who BYC members and there was plenty of food. We brought a box of burgers and there were plenty left over.

Of course it's not my event so if food will be charged for we will still bring something. Perhaps some Lemonade pies.

Also we are near Maines so can check for pricing on burgers and hotdogs and pick those up. Have to be cheaper than Grocery store meat.

And you are right Free anything and people will come.

If there is ban on auction birds in the state where does chicken swaps fall?

No matter what if there will be strangers there I will not be buying nor bringing birds home. The Marsh Daisys will be the last for a while. They are however doing fine. Though some problems don't manifest themselves till later. They and the CR's are away from the other birds. As far as I can keep them.

This is a good question. I'm pretty sure that the Chickenstock would fall under public sales of birds, and not private. I don't know that NY state has banned public sales yet, but I know other states have, and since NY has already banned birds at fairs, if they haven't banned public sales they may well do so.

This is a good question. I'm pretty sure that the Chickenstock would fall under public sales of birds, and not private. I don't know that NY state has banned public sales yet, but I know other states have, and since NY has already banned birds at fairs, if they haven't banned public sales they may well do so.
There is a number I believe for Kings Auction and they might be able to shed some light on the matter.

There is no outright ban. It states no poultry or hatching eggs can be imported into NY unless they are from a AI monitored facility. There is no bans on private sales inside NY.

Just a suggestion. Still do it as a dish to pass, don't worry if not everyone brings something, you'all will cause your 'friends'. Still charge a cover charge at the door and or do a Chinese auction to help cover costs. I know if I was to go I'd bring a big dish to pass and wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 if there was lots of good food.

They may have gotten tied up in the red tape around avian flu. NY has pretty much closed its borders to poultry import, stopped all shows and all in state commercial sales. Private sales are still exempt for the moment.. We may be waiting a while for those ducklings!

There is no outright ban. It states no poultry or hatching eggs can be imported into NY unless they are from a AI monitored facility. There is no bans on private sales inside NY.

I could be wrong, I've been searching and can't find where I read it. A Google search bought me to ladyhawks post, so that might be where I heard it, maybe @LadyHawkeAvry knows more?

Last edited:
 Of these 200 people there where 50 or less from BYC ( includes the children ) - all of those donated something as far as I know .I brought $20.00 of Hofman hots myself
The others....nON byc I didnt see that they brought anything . (You would know this better than me )
I think if you are going to invite the public you should charge because most probably didnt bring anything..Right ?
You could just make this one a closed group or charge a cover charge per person
Figure maybe $5.00 each ..If you say Free Food People will Come & THEY DID ! ;)
actually not everyone from BYC brought stuff and actually a lot of non BYC people did bring or they donated money toward the food bank the problem
Was it was a lot of stuff that wasn't meal stuff and yes the Hoffmann were great and I understand they were expensive but they don't give you much for that cost. Not making this a closed group event I like the idea of others being there it is more enjoyable, last I checked BYC was open to anyone to join plus gives everyone more of a shot to sell there stuff the more there the more who buy. I don't have a problem with providing the hotdogs and hamburg and the drinks just giving everyone the heads up that I will be charging for them especially considering how a few remarks were made at the last one about me charging for drinks and non BYC members eating the food that was brought by BYC members and that BYC members were the only ones who brought food which was not even close to the case.

Chicken swaps are still legal in my tractor supply is still holding tailgate swaps even

Just a suggestion. Still do it as a dish to pass, don't worry if not everyone brings something, you'all will cause your 'friends'. Still charge a cover charge at the door and or do a Chinese auction to help cover costs. I know if I was to go I'd bring a big dish to pass and wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 if there was lots of good food.

Thank you that is what I was thinking everyone bring a dish and pay for the burgers and hotdogs and the drinks. I was just giving a heads up so people knew what they were coming into. As far as the Chinese auction we did one and I would like to do another but the last one definitely didn't make lots of money but it is still nice I got some very nice things that I love and can't wait until next one

Back
Top Bottom