NY chicken lover!!!!

Where do you get quality non-medicated mash, GMO free whole corn, etc for feeding your pullets?
Most Tractor supplies & Runnings have medicated or non medicated starter you just have to look at the bag
Nutty probably has it too..I dont think whole corn is recommended for chicks ..are you getting older chickens ?

I'm also wondering what's best for the base of the floors. Hay or the wood shavings? We'd like to do the compost method, anyone doing that
If you are wanting to do the deep litter method I recommend putting down linoleum ...as it would probably ruin the wood floors .it may be too wet
I do deep litter on a dirt floor ...so it does just compost into the ground
We're in Oswego area closer to Syracuse, NY. I'm guessing if your in Vermont we're not close? lol
Your not far from us in Jordan

anyone notice this on Craigs list ?
Chickens for sale>>> - $1 (Carthage) white laying hens - maybe battery-cage ? 14-15 months

I got chickens from there last year very bad condition nails super long,full of worms, almost bald got them in better shape and they layed alright if I can fit it in my schedule I will probably go get some more just to give them a better life https://watertown.craigslist.org/grd/5199468748.html

I know you've been busy. Thought of you though. I just got rid of 5 C. Rocks. Do you still keep them? I hope everything is okay. We'd hoped to come and see you but the Check engine light is on in the car and I'm concerned to drive that far. Money is tight so it will be awhile before it can go into the shop. Course I guess it might not cost to have it checked and tell us what it is.

In either case take care.

Rancher

Good morning, everyone. It's the first day of school here. I'm enjoying the idea of the big kids keeping busy and learning and seeing friends today, but I do miss them. A friend of ours is considering setting some duck eggs, and I'm still considering setting some chicken eggs, so when I borrow the incubator I may end up doing both. Has anyone here done both duck and chicken eggs in the same incubator? Rancher, was it you who mentioned it earlier this summer? I'd just have to set the duck eggs first, right?, so lockdown can all coordinate? Any advice?

Good morning, everyone.  It's the first day of school here.  I'm enjoying the idea of the big kids keeping busy and learning and seeing friends today, but I do miss them.  A friend of ours is considering setting some duck eggs, and I'm still considering setting some chicken eggs, so when I borrow the incubator I may end up doing both.  Has anyone here done both duck and chicken eggs in the same incubator?  Rancher, was it you who mentioned it earlier this summer?  I'd just have to set the duck eggs first, right?, so lockdown can all coordinate?  Any advice?

I do it, and you just need to set the duck eggs a week ahead of the chicken eggs to avoid a staggered hatch.

I do it, and you just need to set the duck eggs a week ahead of the chicken eggs to avoid a staggered hatch.
Thank you, Pyxis. Is it always a full week ahead? So, if I set the khaki campbells tomorrow I would set the chickens on 9/16? Also, is there any difference with humidity and temp preferences for duck hatching? I'm going to "dry" hatch because the humidity in my house is already so high. I'll add water for lockdown. Do you think that would be okay? They aren't my ducks, so I'm nervous about messing it up.

Thank you, Pyxis.  Is it always a full week ahead? So, if I set the khaki campbells tomorrow I would set the chickens on 9/16?  Also, is there any difference with humidity and temp preferences for duck hatching?  I'm going to "dry" hatch because the humidity in my house is already so high.  I'll add water for lockdown.  Do you think that would be okay?  They aren't my ducks, so I'm nervous about messing it up.

Yep, always a week, since ducks (besides muscovies) take 28 days to hatch and chickens take 21. Dry hatching will probably be okay, just keep an eye on air cell development to make sure everything looks good.

Back
Top Bottom