NY chicken lover!!!!

Well im missing 2 of my chipmunk babies ..
Not sure if it happened yesterday when I was gone
or this morning before I let them out ..
The littles can sneak between the coops and out the main coop gate .
I had a small plastic fence on the bottom of the wire ..it didnt keep them in .
When I went out to let them out 3 of them were over in the main coop this morning..
Everyone was ignoring them
I f the flock attacked them wouldnt their be some remains ?
I think they went out of the main gate and something got them.?
I put up chicken wire on that wall today to prevent them from getting out again ....hopefully I will still have 6 in the morning
Squirrels will take baby birds and might have gotten your littles. I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
hit.gif
In sprite of past comments I realize there are things we can't always forsee. Like nasty, ugly, flea infested, thieving squirrels. I take some out but more move into the territory.

TTFN Everyone,

Rancher

All depends, I've got a great joke about depends, can't say it here...Lol!
I've had great luck just throwing them all together, have you seen real animosity? Do you have like 'I'm going to kill them' roosters, or hens? If you don't see 'I want to kill you' in your flock, toss them together, I've never had a problem with doing that. As long as they are big enough to skit and skedaddle they should be fine.
Well today they all sleep in the big coop. They are non aggressive and seem ok.

Hey y'all! I'm located in Brunswick, NY, near Albany. What's the best butcher around? My husband and I were looking to get into meat birds, checking prices now. Thanks!

Hmmm - it didn't post.....looks like my double laced Barnevelders.

I think your right!!
I've looked at Cackle's website a few times, didn't know they have Barnevelders, never looked under dark brown egg layers. Wyandotte and Cornish have rose and pea combs.
Pretty sure it's Barnevelder now that I see Cackle does have them, thanks.

Hey y'all! I'm located in Brunswick, NY, near Albany. What's the best butcher around? My husband and I were looking to get into meat birds, checking prices now. Thanks!
welcome-byc.gif
Can't say about butchers in your area. You'd be looking for a processor not a butcher. Many folks just do their own. I don't since I don't raise meat birds.

I think Pretty Boy's limp is a little better today. He was also wolfing down food which is a change (he had been losing weight) so that's a good sign and maybe he's on the mend.

My broody pekin is still on the nest and doing well so far, although I'm really wishing I made a note of when she started sitting. I might have to go back through my own posts and find when she did because I know I posted about it. Of course she chose to go broody in the new duck house I was building so she's brought construction to a screeching halt. Luckily all the major stuff was done and I put a temporary plywood roof on it to keep her safe from predators (it was just a tarp covering it during construction when she decided it was a good place to brood).

Well the broody's are starting to hatch their eggs. So far two lavender, one Delaware and one black (I'm not sure whose it is. It was a light brown egg but that would have to be Big Delores' egg. The only black hen in with the Delaware are Buckwheat and the Olive egger. The olive egger is sitting on eggs, none of which are hers.

I've moved the broody who hatched two chicks and gave her the other two chicks. She's in a pen in the back room and seems okay. I had to move her as she got out of the nest box with her two chicks leaving the other three eggs.

Another broody hen got on them and I gave her some more from one of the other hens. It's all very complicated, but I'm happy. I hope all the chicks that do hatch survive.

How many chicks Max should I give each hen? I'll have to clear out a half hoop to put other hens with chicks in. Then before the winter decide who stays and who goes. Though the lavenders will all be staying if they're hens.

I've yet to decide what to do, if anything with the three C. Rock pullets.

DW has been baking cookies for a wedding on Saturday and she's exhausted. I've been helping frost them. I hate the stress of it all. Nearly a thousand cookies. Tomorrow are the Linzer hearts. She has to transport them up to Mexico, NY on Saturday. They're not the usual tough Italian kinds you see in the stores. She does them for friends and just has them buy the ingredients.

Anyhow there is to much to do around here what with chicks, chickens, mowing and the garden to water. Still have to figure out what is getting at the Currants. Looks like something is eating the leaves on one of the bushes. The Josta berry bushes didn't produce even one berry. What a disappointment they are.

TTFN,

Rancher, to much to do, Hicks.

Anyone have a smallish rooster local? @chickengirl15
@myfivegirls , woman at work asked if I had a polish roo, I have had two a couple yrs ago... She's looking for a roo that isn't big and isn't going to tear up her hens, but not a bantam, got anything like that you want to get rid of?

Back
Top Bottom